Vinyl siding corner post problem

Old 08-07-15, 06:10 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Vinyl siding corner post problem

Hi all. Long time reader now have a problem and am curious how to have the contractor address. The tops of the corner posts on my new vinyl siding job are exposed. I have attached a few pics.

Name:  20150807_190701.jpg
Views: 4980
Size:  16.3 KBName:  20150807_190136.jpg
Views: 2255
Size:  11.9 KBName:  20150807_190650.jpg
Views: 1685
Size:  16.4 KB

What would the be the best way to address this issue?

Any advice appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-07-15, 06:25 PM
Group Moderator
Received 229 Votes on 211 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

This is really not as big of a deal as you imagine it to be. Vinyl siding is by no means waterproof. For example, I would bet that the white j-channel (that is above the corner post) is not caulked, so rain runs right behind it. Vinyl siding relies on the WRB (water resistive barrier) behind the siding to keep the substrate dry. Additionally, vinyl siding is often applied right over the top of a previous layer of siding, (which used to be COMPLETELY exposed to the weather) so a little leakage is no big deal.

During heavy rains, water runs down all vertical j-channels and corners and can run behind the back of the siding. This happens especially at the bottom corners of windows. Vinyl siding has weep holes in the bottom of each panel to let water drain out as needed.

If the corner really bugs you, have the contractor add a large triangle of 3/4 thick material on top of the corner and onto the soffit just below the gable fascia, then clad it with white trim coil. You will probably want him to caulk the top edge of that white j-channel next.

As I mentioned, I think its a non-issue.

Old 08-07-15, 07:35 PM
Thanks XSleeper.

Thanks for the reminder of water behind vinyl siding behind hence the design of siding.

I just find it really odd that you would give precipitation a straight shot to the backside of the siding.

I always understood overlap and overlap.

I was reading a bit on contractor talk with somebody with a similar situation and they beat up the contractor for capping ends like that with caulk.

Maybe you are right I am blowing it out of proportion but I feel uneasy which totally sucks.

Old 08-07-15, 08:26 PM
Group Moderator
Well, like I said, a triangle might at least make it look better... if I was doing it, I would probably bring the triangle cladding directly above the entire corner and eliminate that little vertical j-channel by bending an integral j-channel into that side of the triangle cladding.

Old 08-07-15, 08:54 PM
That sound like a good idea

Thanks again xsleeper.

Had another question if you can.

The contract called for felt over my house and garage. They did not put felt on my house and said it was not necessary. It looked like this:

Name:  Gypsum_Board_Sheathing010-DJFs.jpg
Views: 1037
Size:  28.4 KB

Now on the garage they did use felt.

I thought this was against code?

I am starting to wish you had done my siding.

Old 08-07-15, 09:04 PM
Group Moderator
Yes, code calls for a WRB behind vinyl siding... assuming your area goes by IRC 2006 or better. (changed from IRC 2003... someone in the code offices finally grew a brain)

But there is an exception for detached buildings: R703.2 exception still permits sheathing PAPER or equal, to be omitted for detached accessory buildings. (which is also stupid).