Foam as sheathing material

Old 08-09-15, 09:52 PM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Foam as sheathing material

When my house was added on to over 20 years ago foam board was used for the only sheathing material with vinyl siding over it. Just had the wires going into the house pull out a corner of the house for the 2nd time and wondered if there would be a way to strengthen the house at this point.

Old 08-09-15, 10:06 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,336 Votes on 1,234 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Just had the wires going into the house
Are you talking about the service wiring to the street ?
The service hook must be screwed into a stud. There should be a double stud in the corner of your house.

Old 08-10-15, 04:32 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
What type siding, metal, wood, vinyl?? Pictures certainly augment what your problems are, so if you could post pictures of what you have, it may help. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...your-post.html

Old 08-10-15, 04:38 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 361 Votes on 318 Posts
I'm a painter not a carpenter but I've painted some new construction houses built that way BUT they always used plywood/osb on all the corners and possibly other critical areas.

Old 08-10-15, 10:30 PM
W
Wiring and foam

Wiring was connected to studs, tree went down on wires between meter pole and house, pulling connectors out and doing damage. Not sure about a double stud.

Old 08-10-15, 10:34 PM
W
I'm not sure if it does or not, didn't pull out at the very corner, and from looking into attic from access in wall didn't see any, but if it was on the outside of the foam, I couldn't see it.

Old 08-10-15, 10:38 PM
W
Sorry, I thought I had stated it was vinyl siding. Probably not much to take a picture of as repairs were done quickly, just vinyl on outside, and if there were enough light to take a picture inside, just the foam. That would be in attic. Drywall over anything in the regular rooms.

Old 08-10-15, 11:27 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,336 Votes on 1,234 Posts
If a tree fell down on the wires I would expect the hook to pull out of the stud. If the stud is still intact just move the hook up or down an inch or two.

Old 08-12-15, 01:10 PM
W
Thanks, the repairs are made, and as you suggested. My issue is that when it happens it pulls siding off and pulls the foam sheathing out also. I am wondering if there is a way to strengthen the walls, which are just the foam and vinyl siding. Some way to put a more solid siding over the vinyl maybe? And in the attic where it keeps pulling out, could I put some more insulation in the wall and then drywall on the inside? What type of insulation, backed or not? Thanks

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: