T 1-11 siding: sealing at corner

Old 08-11-15, 02:03 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
T 1-11 siding: sealing at corner

Have a place in PA. A few years ago I noticed those friendly 3/4 ants going into the siding covering the chimney. The chimney is for a fireplace insert, not brick. So I took off two sheets of T-111 siding (wood with line going down in it). At the time I noticed a few spots and caulked up any holed.I did notice in the corner were a 3 1/2 and 2 1/2 molding to cover the corners of the T-111 siding. The problem was the space that was formed by using the molding. So I plugged up the space but a few years later the molding and t-111 side rotted out. How do you fix so the ANTS do not go climbing up the hole made by the molding. If I plug and water get in it rots. If hole there the ants walk up.

PS: a few pictures below.

Attached Images    
Sponsored Links
Old 08-11-15, 02:08 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 132 Votes on 118 Posts
A pic from further back would give us a better idea as to how the siding and corner have been done.
As long as water isn't getting in the gap - I'd be more concerned with killing the ants than the gap. You shouldn't need that much caulking. Did the wood rot from water damage or from insects?

Old 08-12-15, 06:33 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The rot came from water.When I caulked the bottom,water must of come in farther up the chimney. So in spring I will replace the siding and new molding.What would be best way of stopping the water and bugs from getting in.

Attached Images  
Old 08-12-15, 06:46 AM
Group Moderator
Received 228 Votes on 210 Posts
Stopping water? can't tell, we can't see the chimney cap. Water can probably get in the crack where the 2 corner boards join if they aren't nailed tight. Its not like they are caulked or glued together. Stopping bugs? You're crazy to try. Maybe a piece of steel wool at the bottom. Every corner fits just about exactly like that so IMO you're being unreasonable. BTW, all sorts of bugs can crawl inside your aluminum soffit. The deck should not be installed in front of and cover up your siding. That's just inviting it to rot. Is there ledger flashing?

Siding looks in good shape otherwise, I see no rot and no reason to replace it based on what is in the pics.

Old 08-12-15, 10:05 AM
Received 29 Votes on 25 Posts
Decking never should have been installed tight to the siding, that's 100% sure way for it to rot out.
Outside corner should not have been in direct contact with the decking and is never caulked at the bottom.
Siding should have been run all the way to the outside corner, which it looks like would have covered up that empty space.
Use vinyl lumber for that outside corner and it would never rot again, and yes it can be painted after a light sanding.