Replace Damaged Shakes

Old 09-09-15, 05:04 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Replace Damaged Shakes

So this morning I woke up to a scratching nose by my bedroom window. I own three cats and naturally thought that one on them saw a bird outside and was trying to get breakfast. However, when I got out of bed I saw all three of them sitting on the trunk staring out the window. I decided to join my furry companions to see what was really going on. I looked out the window and there was just enough light from the rising sun to see two little eye looking back at me through a black mask of fur and a flicking ringed tale. There was a raccoon tearing up my siding trying to get in! I grabbed my phone and turned on the flashlight to scare it away. I have since called him George Ccoony. When I got home I found out Mr. Conny sleeping in a tree next to the back porch and is unfazed be my two dogs barking, the corgi doing "I'm going to end you" snarl. I went on the roof and cleaned up the mess and I am getting ready to buy the supplies I need to do the repair over the weekend. However, I cannot find anybody that sells shakes individually. I don't need anything fancy, the previous owner of the house left the blue paint with us when we bought the house 2yrs ago, so I can paint over anything. I looked at videos online and it looks like an easy enough repair and the paint would make it almost unnoticeable to anybody who isn't on my roof. Does anybody know where I can buy individual shakes so I don't have to spend $50-80 on shakes that I might never use? I have included a link to the picture of the damage before I cleaned it up just incase anybody had any suggestions that the videos I watched didn't cover. Thanks so much for the help!

Imgur: Full size picture.
Name:  mohyDru.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  35.7 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 09-09-15 at 06:32 PM. Reason: added pic from link
Old 09-09-15, 06:35 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,336 Votes on 1,234 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

You need to answer a very important question.... WHY ?
Why was he trying to get in.

My neighbor had a similar issue with squirrels. He patched the siding and they tore it open again. I told him to cover the re-patched area with aluminum to see what they did. They did attack the aluminum. They scratched at it but didn't move over a few feet and start again. They just gave up and he was able to remove the aluminum.

Old 09-09-15, 06:38 PM
J
Thanks for the warm welcome!!! Aaaahhhhh. So I should put up some sort of barrier first and then worry about the repair after he leaves?

Old 09-09-15, 06:46 PM
C
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
May be a pregnant female, they will go to amazing lengths to find a dry and safe place to give birth. Had one in our chimney (has a cap now) and last year one ripped the metal screening off an attic vent to get in the attic; what a mess to deal with. Anyway, do anything you can to discourage it.

Can't help you with the shakes, I've never seen them sold by less than a bundle, which I think is 25 Sq feet worth.

Old 09-09-15, 06:47 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,336 Votes on 1,234 Posts
See what opinions other posters have. If they are as ornery as squirrels... you may need to get ornery back.

Old 09-09-15, 06:53 PM
Group Moderator
Received 790 Votes on 727 Posts
Where in NE are you? Might help me narrow down the places I suggest you go.

Coons are odd that way. Had trouble with them trying to rip into an epdm roof/chimney flashing at one customers house. Repaired it, coon did it again. They trapped the coon and had it relocated. I'd have shot it.... expensive little bugger.

Old 09-09-15, 07:08 PM
J
I live in Omaha off of about 45th and Dodge.

Lol, yeah I am hoping that with the barrier it will just give up and leave before I have to worry about relocation.

Old 09-09-15, 07:24 PM
Group Moderator
Received 790 Votes on 727 Posts
Get a bundle at Builders Supply or Menards. A whole bundle (around $20) is about 20 sq ft. I'd replace a large area... a lot of those pieces need replacing anyway.

Don't ask for shakes (implies a thicker rough split shingle). It looks to me like you want a smooth cedar shingle... 3/8" thick.

Old 09-09-15, 08:06 PM
S
I like the advice you've been given regarding protecting the area with aluminum or some such material until you're sure the coon has given up on your house.

When you do get around to painting, if the blue paint that was left behind is not oil based, be sure you use an oil based primer first.

Old 09-10-15, 04:13 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 361 Votes on 318 Posts
The shingles should be primed with an oil base primer no matter what type of top coat is used. Beside needing primer as good painting practice, the oil base primer will seal the tannins in the wood preventing discoloration of the finish paint. Latex primers do a poor job of sealing out tannins.

Old 09-11-15, 06:59 PM
J
Thanks everyone for all the help! I'm going to get the sheet metal and install it the Sunday. I'm going to keep in on until Spring and do the repair then. I'll keep you guys posted if I run into anymore problems with the coon, or if I run into some problem replacing the shingles.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: