Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Exterior Improvement Center > Exterior Paneling and All Exterior Sidings
Reload this Page >

Filling the joins between plywood sheet siding on a shed

Old 09-10-15, 03:57 PM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

How do I fill in the gaps between the plywood sheets I have used to side my shed?

I have just built a 16’x8’x8’ shed. I sided it with ½” plywood with the intention of further siding it with some cedar planks I had. Consequently, I did not put any weather strips between the plywood sheets where they joined. Unfortunately, I have changed my mind and now plan to just leave the ½” plywood as the siding and stain it.

Can anyone suggest how I can fill in/seal/cover the join between the plywood sheets that will now be the siding?

I am thinking of gluing and nailing some ¼”x ¾” baton over the joins, but I would also like to put some filler in the joins themselves. I was wondering if I should put some caulking/wood filler/MH Ready Patch or similar products in the joins before I attach the batons. Unfortunately, there is nothing behind the plywood to which any type of caulking or filler could bond.

I thank you all kindly for any suggestions you might have.

Old 09-10-15, 04:02 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 11 Upvotes on 10 Posts
Not sure how your joints are located, but placing a batten board (1x2) over the crack and nail it up. To make it look better, make a pattern of regularity with the battens, which may make them space at 24".

Old 09-10-15, 04:09 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,977 Upvotes on 1,772 Posts
there is nothing behind the plywood to which any type of caulking or filler could bond.
Huh? You didn't break your joints on a stud?

Old 09-11-15, 03:31 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 11 Upvotes on 10 Posts
joints on a stud?
Never entered my mind. Again, pictures would certainly help. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...your-post.html

Old 09-11-15, 03:33 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 875 Upvotes on 766 Posts
Was the plywood hung vertically or horizontally?

Old 09-11-15, 07:24 AM
G
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up More details

Sorry for the lack of details. I'll post a photograph once I get my camera back from a friend I lent it to.

The plywood sheets are attached horizontally.

The two 16'x8' sides have four 4' x 8' plywood sheets running horizontally i.e one 4'x8' sheet is on top of another 4' x 8' sheet. Next to these two sheets are two other sheets with one 4'x8' sheet being on top of another 4' x 8' sheet.

On the back there are two 4' x 8' sheets, one sheet being on top of another i.e. they are attached horizontally.

On the front side I did the same as the back and then cut out a 4' x 6' doorway.

Your responses have also jogged my memory. There are 2" x 4" vertical studs every 16" all around the shed on the inside. I also now remember that for some reason - possibly to allow for better attaching pegboard - I put 2" x 4" horizontal pieces between the vertical studs where the horizontal plywood siding joined.

Accordingly, there is backing for either caulking, wood filler or some other kind of wood substitute to fill/seal the gap between the plywood joins! So, what would you suggest I should seal/fill these joins with?

Thanks for your responses so far. I very much appreciate. Sorry, for the lack of details in my first post.

Old 09-11-15, 08:54 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 875 Upvotes on 766 Posts
You don't really want plywood/osb hung horizontally and use it for the finished siding. When hung vertically rain has an easy way of escape but hung horizontally you have to rely on caulking to seal the gap and caulking will fail - sooner or later

Assuming it's not practical to remove and reinstall the plywood, it would be best to put up tar paper and then siding of some sort.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: