Plastic siding .black on one end And....

Old 09-30-15, 12:53 PM
B
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Question Plastic siding .black on one end And....

Like new on the other end of my 60' garage.The overhangs are stained badly on the north end, and the south end is great condition.My question would be.Can i paint or remove stains(tried) not good luck. Painting is another option.....but can i paint plastic siding ??? will paint stay on it?If so what do i get in paint thanks much bob s

Old 09-30-15, 01:36 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 361 Votes on 318 Posts
Vinyl siding can be painted although for the most part you should stay with the same depth of color as vinyl is color rated. If it's painted darker than it was manufactured it may warp. SWP does have a coating called 'color safe' that is supposed to work well when painting the vinyl darker. I haven't used it as it came out about the time I retired. I have successfully painted vinyl within the color parameters with quality latex house paint. I prefer to spray it as it both looks nicer and coverage is easier to obtain.

What have you used to clean the siding?

Old 10-01-15, 05:38 AM
B
Unhappy

Really just your "everyday cleaners" fantastic .soap and water are useless.Have not tried muratic acid........over my head, worries.spilling it.Any suggestions .thanks for offering the help bob s

I don't understand ,. have not heard anything about this......"color rated" vinyl???

Old 10-01-15, 05:53 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 361 Votes on 318 Posts
When vinyl siding is manufactured it is made to withstand the heat range expected by that color. Brown or green siding can withstand more heat from the sun than white siding. When painting it's ok to change colors but issues can arise when painting it a darker color.

Don't use muratic acid. Try a bleach/water solution [about 50/50] and maybe adding some TSP to the mix.

Old 10-01-15, 03:24 PM
Group Moderator
Received 790 Votes on 727 Posts
Siding wash and a power washer will get it as clean as its going to get. Unless you plan on hand scrubbing with a vat of Zud.

Old 10-02-15, 08:27 AM
B
ZUD i remember it well i believe you when i look at this plastic siding .Its ..STAINED.... dirty, no cure for that i guess

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: