Woodpecker in My Wall!

Old 10-02-15, 03:39 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Woodpecker in My Wall!

How do I patch the hole? Also, yes there is protective board behind the slab too (that black board stuff)

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 10-02-15, 03:55 PM
Received 227 Votes on 202 Posts
I don't know what is best but I can suggest a few options. Bondo might be a possibility or maybe roof tar patch? Black caulking?

Old 10-02-15, 04:58 PM
C
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Been painting my house these last couple weeks. Have cedar channel rustic and the downy woodpeckers love it, so I had several holes more or less like yours to fix. I tried a few different methods and this is what worked best:

Fill the cavity with foam in a can. Let it set for a day or two; it will bulge out the hole. After it is completely set, cut it back roughly to back of siding, or a little deeper. If the siding is thick enough, drive a couple of small brads into the sides of the siding so they protrude into the hole but not above the surface.

Get yourself some WoodEpox epoxy wood filler. Mix up enough to fill the remaining hole and press it into place surrounding the brads and filling the hole. Leave it a little bit proud of the surface. You can wet a putty knife or even your gloved fingers and it makes it a lot easier to smooth it and doesn't hurt the putty at all. Let it harden overnight and then use a wood rasp (a surform rasp works really well) to level it. Prime and paint and you're good to go.

I did a couple this way a few years back and they are still looking good and holding tight.

BTW, that's a nesting hole and is different than the holes they make trying to get insects. I've found that a few strands of crime scene caution tape tied to hooks on the siding seems to discourage them.

Old 10-03-15, 03:37 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 301 Votes on 267 Posts
I agree using a can of spray foam for a prefiller works best! There are a number of fillers that can be used over the foam. About 15 yrs ago I contracted the paint job on a cedar sided house that woodpeckers had turned into swiss cheese - learned more about patching holes in wood than I ever wanted to know.