Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Exterior Improvement Center > Exterior Paneling and All Exterior Sidings
Reload this Page >

When the last piece of vinyl siding is the exact wrong size...

Old 10-18-15, 05:03 PM
I
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

So when vinyl siding a wall up to the soffit (a non-gable wall), what do you do when the space remaining for the last piece is the EXACT wrong size. With J channel and undersill trim at the top, the last full piece of siding is too large to fit. No problem, you would normally cut it so it fits into the undersill trim and snap lock punch it. However, in this case if you cut just the minimum nailing hem off, the piece would then be too short to fit into the undersill trim. It's like the exact worse case scenario for the top row. Hopefully that makes sense. Any ideas?

Old 10-18-15, 05:42 PM
I
Just thinking about this again...here are the options I've seen:
  • Double up the undersill trim (put a piece below the other piece). This looks bad and I worry wind blown water will get between the undersill trims. Probably not likely as they're under an overhang.
  • Buy some D5 siding for the last row (instead of D4). That extra 2" would solve the issue. I'd like to finish this ASAP though and would have to custom order the D5 size.
  • Cut the nailing hem off the last row of siding. Cut some more off...maybe 1/2". Nail hole slot punch what's left and then nail it WITH the separately cut off nailing hem to the wall. So this basically lowers the nailing hem allowing one last row of siding to be installed up into the undersill trim.
  • Remove the top J channel and undersill trim. Rip 1x PVC trim board on table saw down to about 1" and secure to wall under soffit. Re-install J channel and undersill trim. This will bring down the undersill trim enough that the last course of siding will be able to be cut down, snap lock punched, and secured.

Any other acceptable solutions? Leaning with the PVC board idea, as the gable end of the building faces forward (so the sides aren't very visible) and the soffit and soffit F channel are white (will match the PVC).

Old 10-18-15, 06:12 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 751 Votes on 690 Posts
I don't understand what your saying by the "exact wrong size" and "cut just the minimum nailing hem off". Whatever the size you can cut the last piece to the size needed and use adhesive to hold it in place. If it ends up in the thick, convoluted area just under the nailing flange it can be cut with snips if you have the hand for it or with a fine toothed blade installed backwards in a circular saw.

Old 10-18-15, 06:45 PM
I
Sorry, it's hard to explain. I have the J channel + undersill trim attached under the soffit. Then I have the vinyl siding all the way up the wall to the last full piece.

Normally I would measure the amount of space left, rip a course of siding, snap lock punch it, and install it.

In this case, however, I can't put another full (not ripped) course because the nailing hem at the top is pretty much even with the undersill trim (so it lands on top of it). If I CUT OFF the nailing hem, then the top of the piece lands BELOW the undersill trim. See what I mean?

That's what I meant by "exact wrong size". The space I need to cover with the final course of siding is the EXACT worse case scenario! Couldn't have planned it like that if I tried!

Old 10-18-15, 06:53 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,342 Votes on 1,240 Posts
What happens when you put the nailing end in the J channel ? Do you see the nailing slots ?
You could always nail in the J channel.

Name:  siding.jpg
Views: 2309
Size:  5.8 KB

Old 10-18-15, 06:57 PM
I
Yeah, you can see the nailing slots very clearly. And it's a LITTLE too tight like that...like I would want to trim 1/8 to 1/4" off for a better fit, which obviously means cutting off the nailing slots! I might be able to punch nailing spots right below them (just barely), but seeing the nails from the ground looks very unfinished.

I even tried cutting up under what's labeled "Lock" in your picture on a scrap piece to get that extra 1/4" of height, but then I'm too far from the undersill trim to snap lock punch it and insert it.

Old 10-18-15, 07:00 PM
Group Moderator
Ok....so the slots would then be useless. Other than spacing the J molding down an inch is to switch to wide J molding.

Old 10-18-15, 07:08 PM
I
This is for a shed, I'm just really picky. The wall is 12' long, so I'm really leaning towards ripping a 1" piece of a 1x4x12 PVC trim board and installing that above the top J channel/undersill trim. That should bring it down enough for everything to work out and I think it will blend in. I just didn't want it to look like a hack job.

Wide J would work...I also thought about the snap in crown moulding style pieces they make. However, those are all special order and I'm in a hurry to finish.

Usually the top row just works out, but of course it wouldn't this time when I'm siding up against the arriving freezing temperatures!

Old 10-18-15, 07:10 PM
Group Moderator
I understand..... so it looks like PVC trim to the rescue unless someone else chimes in.

Old 10-20-15, 09:09 PM
I
1x2 (1.5") PVC trim worked well. I even got the textured kind which matches the siding texture. If I had more time before winter I would have had the siding paint matched and painted the PVC trim, but doesn't look out of place as is.

Old 10-20-15, 09:18 PM
Group Moderator
Great news. ..... and now a little painting project for the spring.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: