Uneven staining on cedar siding

Old 12-19-15, 02:54 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Uneven staining on cedar siding

My handyman, who was paid to apply two coats of semi-transparent stain last April, says that the uneven appearance of my home is a natural result of my cedar siding's porosity (semi-transparent stain varies). I applied some of the left-over stain to my home recently and am not convinced about his argument that his work is a natural result of the wood. I'm not sure whether or not my home's wood is protected if I leave the job as is.
I'm not having any luck adding photos so what I'm wondering is, if the variation is due to porosity, then would the variation go along the grain of the wood rather than horizontal to the grain (in places, the variation is in a straight horizontal line against the grain)?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-19-15, 03:07 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 321 Votes on 285 Posts
Welcome to the forums Diane!

Uneven stain is usually an application error. Whenever applying any type of transparent coating it's important to keep a wet edge [no lap marks] until you get to the end of the board. This might mean only staining a few boards at a time [especially in the sun] Sometimes how a house was pressure washed can also affect the look of the stain.

http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...your-post.html

Old 12-19-15, 03:55 PM
J
Received 77 Votes on 72 Posts
How was it applied? If he sprayed and your brushing your getting more stain on the wood.
If there's already two coats and your now applying another one of course it's going to look darker.

Old 12-20-15, 03:16 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
I'm not sure whether or not my home's wood is protected if I leave the job as is.
I forgot to address this in my first reply

As long as all the wood has been coated with stain it is protected. As far as protection goes it doesn't matter what it looks like as long as it repels/beads water.

Is it an oil base stain or waterborne? Most waterborne stains have a set recoat window after which another coat should not be applied unless the first coat has weathered or been removed. If that is the case it will state so on the label.

Old 12-20-15, 09:58 AM
D
Photos of the Cedar Stain

Thanks for the replies and for the link about uploading photos. Below is a close-up of one area in back, and the next is a wider view. Is this how two coats of stain are supposed to look?

Name:  Wood Porosity or Poor Application 2.jpg
Views: 1989
Size:  26.8 KB

Name:  _DSC0007 (800x537).jpg
Views: 2805
Size:  27.1 KB

I spent some time redoing the side of my home last month. The following photo shows the side left by the handyman (on the left) and the side I did on the right. Oh, I now know that I should have done an entire board at a time. At least the other 3 sides of my home won't require going way up the extension ladder (that was scary).

Name:  NorthSideFull (2) - Copy.jpg
Views: 5030
Size:  47.3 KB

JoeCaption: I began putting some of the left-over stain on because the uneven appearance just didn't seem right. The handyman claims he put two coats on using a brush for trim and a roller otherwise. I still wonder if the wood is well protected unless I keep staining over his work.

MarkSr asked about the type of stain. It's an advanced waterborne stain. The manufacturer's website says to add a 2nd coat if a darker color is wanted or if the 1st coat was put on weathered or unfinished wood. My home had an even tone before the work was done. I'm not sure if it's beading water but will look for that next time it rains.

Thanks everyone for your advice. I could use more -- I don't want to put too much stain on. I hadn't realized that that could be an issue, too, before seeing the comments.

Old 12-20-15, 02:40 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
The siding in the top pic almost looks like it was only half stained with some of it either missed or dry brushed with little stain being applied. Was the can of stain shook or stirred up well before it was applied?

You don't have to wait for rain to see if the siding will bead water - just throw a little water at it from a clean paint brush.

Old 12-21-15, 09:42 AM
D
Photos of the "Spritz" Test Suggested by MarkSr

MarkSr,

That's a brilliant suggestion! I can clearly see that my handyman left my home's cedar unprotected. I'm attaching a couple photos. The first shows the area you commented on, and the second shows two panels. The lower one is one that I re-stained while the upper one is the one left by my handyman. One beads nicely; the other doesn't. I'm seeing the water disappear so quickly in some places of the unprotected areas that I now wonder if the water is just seeping into the wood in those places. Is that possible - that water penetrates wood with little stain?

Attachment 60347

Attachment 60348

Old 12-21-15, 09:56 AM
D
Stain was bought 4/18; Application began 4/22

I forgot to answer the question about whether the stain had been mixed/stirred. Individual gallons were purchased on April 18, and application began 4 days later. I assume the store mixed in the color I selected and that the handyman stirred it. I made sure to stir the stain when I used it.

Old 12-21-15, 01:28 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Your links didn't work

Unsealed or poorly sealed wood will absorb moisture. Sprinkling a coating with water is a cheap/quick way to determine if the existing coating is ok. Depending on how bad the existing stain has weathered it's possible for the wood to be very porous but I've never seen porous wood stain as splotchy as what you have. If siding is pressure washed incorrectly it can look a little like that but even that can be made to look decent.

Wish you good luck with your upcoming litigation. The more documentation you have the better. You might see if you can get a different paint rep [not associated with the handyman] to look at it.

As a professional painter I might be a little biased but there is more to painting/staining than many think. The odds are you'd get a better looking job with a painter versus a handyman.

Old 12-21-15, 04:29 PM
D
Second Try With The Photos -- The Spritz Water Test is Quite Amazing

I'll try posting the photos again so others can see the huge difference (the test works amazingly well).

Name:  _DSC0024.jpg
Views: 1551
Size:  36.6 KB

Above is the way the spritzed water (flung from a paint brush) looks on an area with poor coverage. Below is my stained area with water beads on the lower board and the upper board where the water just spread out (the handyman's work).

Name:  Front My Stained Panels v Dean's (2).jpg
Views: 3429
Size:  39.4 KB

Yes, I've filed a small claims against that handyman. I've worked hard to understand this issue, and I feel confident about refuting his claims. His basic claim is that the two coats of stain he so diligently applied last April simply soaked into my home's porous wood and now needs a third coat. The job just looks so bad that my photos without comment should say a lot (but I've quite a bit to say now myself).

And, below is the marvelous beading on the side of the house that I redid (I am proud of the work so let me show off these lovely beads indicating that the wood is protected).

Name:  Side I stained.jpg
Views: 1857
Size:  39.3 KB

Old 12-22-15, 02:48 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
His basic claim is that the two coats of stain he so diligently applied last April simply soaked into my home's porous wood and now needs a third coat
That statement would almost be funny if it wasn't so pathetic!

Does the guy drink or just inept? Do you know anything about any other jobs he painted/stained?

Old 04-24-17, 03:51 PM
D
If you don't mind me asking what kind of stain did you use, as in brand and color