Boral vs Hardie: total cost difference?

Old 02-02-16, 06:20 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Boral vs Hardie: total cost difference?

I have about 1600 sq ft of vinyl siding to replace with a better looking siding material that I can paint. My architect has specified the new Borla tru exterior siding. My contractor is pushing me towards the standard hardie board that I am more familiar with.

I'm wondering if there is a significant cost difference on the material or labor. I'm not looking for dollar estimates here but just a sense if one option will be less expensive.

Also any opinions on differences between the products? 2 architects told me they thought it looked better and was easier to install and mill/route/etc. aesthetics is my number one factor....but cost could trump that if the difference is major...

Sponsored Links
Old 02-02-16, 06:55 PM
C
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
I have done small jobs with both.

The two are more alike than different.

Material cost will probably mostly depend on how far you are from a plant. Stuff is heavy so shipping impacts local cost.

Labor wise likely tilts slightly toward Boral. Less splitting, can nail near the ends. No need to prime cut ends. OK for ground and masonry contact. Boral is a little easier on tools but both are abrasive. Stuff paints like a dream. Boral a little floppier than Hardie, so takes a little more care carrying 16' boards.

If your contractor is all set up for hardie and has worked with it a lot, there will be a little learning curve for Boral....but not much and I bet he ends up liking it.

Boral has a lot of recycled content, so that's a plus for many.

Since aesthetics are important to you, why don't you see if your architect can show you a house with each...