Waterproofing Stucco

Old 03-09-16, 06:36 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Waterproofing Stucco

I have a stucco house built in 1952, I live in the SF Bay area about 3 miles from the coast. The summers are usually cool and foggy. I recently discovered damage from a very old leak in the roof from way before I owned the house. Some framing needed to be replaced and a 6 foot section of the stucco wall needed to be replaced. I had a stucco contractor out to replace the stucco. He also found a little leak in the stucco chimney area and repaired that also, after the first rain the chimney area developed a second leak. The contractor came back and fixed that leak, then another developed so they are back again. Talking with the contractor he mentioned that after years the building paper breaks down, he showed my how it was brittle and would just crack when you touch it. He was not suggesting to re stucco the house just pointing out a fact. So it sounds like I could be developing other leaks in the future. We had a very heavy rain the other day and I noticed on the other side of the first repair I still get a little bit moister seeping in at the bottom in very very heavy rains. I do not want them to rip open the wall for this small leak thinking they will do more harm that good. Would painting this part of the wall with elastomer paints be a smart option when the stucco cures? The original stucco is painted and has been many times in the last 60 years. Last time I painted I used Kelly Moore AcryShield 100% Acrylic Exterior Flat Paint. I did some reading on water proofing stucco and it seams like there are all sorts of pros and cons about using elastomer paints on stucco.The biggest con being it will not allow the wall to dry out if water get behind the stucco. My home sits on a slab and the stucco wall is flush to the slab, so there is no weep system. When I paint the new stucco section I would like to use a waterproof paint or sealer. I am thinking it would be good protection for where the old stucco meets the new. So what are my options. Thanks

Old 03-10-16, 02:34 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
I've had good results using elastomeric paints on stucco. The new stucco will need to be primed first and any chalk on the existing paint needs to be removed or sealed with a binder. If there are areas where water can get behind the stucco - that needs to be addressed!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: