Cedar siding needs repair...

Old 04-28-16, 11:30 AM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cedar siding needs repair...

First post here and I apologize if it's a repeat...

I am a new homeowner with not much DIY experience, however, I have cedar siding that needs some repair and would like to save some $ and do it myself. The siding has multiple cracks and knots in the wood beginning to pop out that need to be filled. My plan is to fill them with caulk and paint, any recommendations on caulk or any other suggestions. Thank you and looking forward to gaining some knowledge from the group.

Jim

Sponsored Links
Old 04-28-16, 11:35 AM
Group Moderator
Received 677 Votes on 626 Posts
Can't see your repairs without some pictures, but I would probably try to steer you toward a product like this one instead of using caulk.

3M Bondo Home Solutions Wood Filler - Wood Fill - Amazon.com

Old 04-28-16, 11:52 AM
C
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Caulk is ok for cracks. If you choose a color that is close to your paint and make sure the caulk you choose is paintable (I prefer polyurethane caulk) then it will paint well. Try to do a neat job and don't smear it around on the siding. Even if you paint afterward, the different texture will be visible. If you want, you can put tape on each side of the crack, apply the caulk and smooth it, and then remove the tape immediately.

As X said, for knot holes and larger fixes, a filler is better. He mentioned a good one, I like WoodEpox myself.

If the knothole goes all the way through the siding, you may find it helpful to first shoot some can foam into the hole. Wait until it sets and then trim it so it is below the surface and then use the filler. The foam gives you something to push against when using the filler so you can pack it firmly into the depression.

Good luck with your project!

Old 04-28-16, 01:05 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 321 Votes on 285 Posts
Foam is great for holes with no backing behind them. I once had to repair and paint a cedar sided house that had been attacked by woodpecker

Caulking is best for the cracks but as mentioned above, fillers do better when you need to repair holes of any size.

Pics would help us better understand what you need to do - http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...-pictures.html

btw - welcome to the forums Jim!