Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Exterior Improvement Center > Exterior Paneling and All Exterior Sidings
Reload this Page >

Can any one help us find siding to match our - :0 - asbestos!?

Can any one help us find siding to match our - :0 - asbestos!?

Old 05-12-16, 08:49 AM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Can any one help us find siding to match our - :0 - asbestos!?

I will include some pictures of our project later. I wrote about this project here o the forum before, here.http://www.doityourself.com/forum/in...sed-porch.html We did go with the sprayfoam insulation and now there is lots of finishing on that room and portico we are continuing to work on. We have come far but I have to ask my husband to shrink one of the pictures down because the ones on our computer don't load on this forum.

Its time to finish the outside, and we would ideally like to side with cement board siding, or something that matches the straight-edged 8" reveal asbestos shingle siding we have on our house (each set of shingles of asbestos is 32" wide, if that matters). Lots of reasons to keep it. It is in fine condition and probably always will be, it looks fine, and can be painted someday to look very fine. We also put a great deal of time and expense and work into bleaching the whole house and roof last year. So there is no good reason to put a layer of other siding over the asbestos.

I spent a great deal of time several times this winter doing my best to find cement siding with an 8" reveal and could not find 8", just similar. Similar is not going to match the adjoining siding. Does anyone know where I can find it, or advise me where to go look to find it?

Or perhaps you will say, "This cannot be found". If that is the case I would like to know that too.

In which case, do you have any suggestions for siding this? It is now black tar paper, and we are ready to side now, but with what? I would like it to match the house, but if a match is not possible, I can at least paint to match the house color least - so I would like suggestions as to what we could side with, that would be paintable.

And lower-cost siding suggestions would be useful, especially if we would not be using the matching product I had hoped for - then we might as well go for cheap.

Thank you!

P.S. It seems to me without an 8" straight reveal, we cannot make a match. Because, if its a 1/2 off, the two different horizontals would look ridiculous. Otherwise, we have to go with vertical. T-1-11? That would be the cheapest, but I don't know about the look. Or the last...

Old 05-12-16, 09:13 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 404 Votes on 360 Posts
Would it be feasible to take siding off another portion of the house and use it there? Look for a small section where you could reside with similar looking siding but might not show because it's a small area [short wall]

Old 05-12-16, 10:36 AM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
marksr, I ran this by my husband who reminded me we already have some saved from where he took it off elsewhere (after enclosing both porches). Other than that, being a small house, there is not really any other places to take from. However, I think you have a good idea here. Maybe we can use the old, removed stuff that we have set aside, just on the back - or just on the front... because the cement board looks quite expensive, and I am now encouraged we will find the cement board.

Because, thanks, joecaptain - I don't know how I could have missed this when I looked before, but apparently I did. It looks like the first one on this page, found from that "GAF" link you gave, is the 8" reveal I have been trying to find! It looks very similar to our old aesbestos! I am certain I looked at the "GAF" Weatherside site before, but I missed this.

Its pretty expensive, but perhaps we can cut costs and still have the good uniform look we want by using a combination of the old and new. I will keep you updated on this thread and will include pictures later.

Thank you for the quick help!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: