Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Exterior Improvement Center > Exterior Paneling and All Exterior Sidings
Reload this Page >

Need some help replacing section of t1-11 in middle of wall

Old 07-25-16, 07:58 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Name:  IMG_2009.jpg
Views: 345
Size:  50.2 KB
Sorry for the angled picture. Not sure why that happened.
So i am removing a small cantillevered deck due to a few of the joists rotting. I will need to patch the siding there and there is a small amount of rot on one of the corners of the patio door also.

I have never worked with t1-11 before but have done other siding repairs.

Is it my understanding there is usually no sheathing under it just tar paper or tyvek?

Any tips and tricks on this?

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 07-25-16, 09:06 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 316 Votes on 280 Posts
For the most part it's best to replace full panels although sometimes a 4x8 panel is trimmed down to fit the house. The T-111 usually takes the place of any sheeting so you'd be exposing the insulation and studs while the repair is being made. There may or may not be any tar paper or house wrap depending on when and how the house was built. Generally it's not a good idea just to cut a patch to fit a hole as it is difficult to both make it look good and waterproof.

Old 07-25-16, 03:38 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Are you going to replace the deck? You have doors, so you will need something there. If so, fill in the holes with 1/2" wood and apply epoxy over the repair and sand it down. You can apply your ledger right over the repaired area. Normally siding is removed for ledger application, but in the event there is nothing behind it, there would be no advantage and a leak would be inevitable.

Old 07-27-16, 09:51 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
deck is coming off completley due to the rot. We'll just end up doing a railing in front of the patio door so we dont loose the airflow.

So at this point I just plan to replace the 1x4's around the door, cut off the deck joists and siding panels maybe a few feet up, install tar paper, z flashing and then new panels.

My concern is keeping the grooves in the panels if possible. I am hoping I can flex the piece under the door enough to get both sides in the tongue and grooves as it will only be a foot or so tall.

If this doesnt work how do I waterproof a butt joint? Just tar paper behind and caulk the joint when done? Sounds like a leak waiting to happen without having sheathing behind it!