Any ideas for this window opening?

Old 09-15-16, 12:41 PM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Any ideas for this window opening?

I sealed off an unwanted window in my kitchen, filling it with insulation and closing it off with drywall on the inside. On the exterior, which is brick, I built a 2 x 4 frame, screwed some plywood in, and stained it. I'd like to replace it with something more permanent and attractive. Considered vinyl siding, but I'm not sure how that would look in just one window opening. There is old aluminum siding above the brick, up to the roof. I also considered the exterior panels available at the big stores. I've used them for patio enclosures. Other than having someone fill the space in with bricks (I'm no mason), any suggestions? Thanks!

Old 09-15-16, 01:24 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 403 Votes on 359 Posts
Something along the lines of what you did is probably best. IMO using vinyl or aluminum would bring attention to the missing window along with looking odd. If you post a pic showing where the window was [exterior] we might be better able to come up with suggestions.

Old 09-15-16, 01:25 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
I'd put the window panes back in but paint the inside of the glass black so no one can see through and know it's a wall now.

Old 09-15-16, 01:32 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
I like that idea

Old 09-15-16, 02:47 PM
F
Thanks, marksr. I kinda felt the same way about siding. I'll try and get a photo of the area posted.

Old 09-15-16, 02:50 PM
F
Thanks, but it's unfortunately not a great option, stickshift. I had all the other windows replaced. The one I closed up is still there, under the plywood, but it's an ancient steel single-pane - the original that came with the house. It's pretty beat up, and drafty as hell.

Old 09-16-16, 10:49 AM
T
Received 17 Votes on 15 Posts
Can you construct a fake frame with window panes, paint the inside all black as stickshift suggested? I think a fake window looks better than a sided hole unless it is bricked in to match.
If I saw what you have I might think differently.

Old 09-16-16, 01:46 PM
F
Thanks, tightcoat - I agree with your assessment, but I'm not too keen on trying to fabricate a fake window. What I have now is just a piece of plywood, which I painted in a brick-tone color. Even if I brick in the opening, it still looks like a bricked-in opening. ;-) So far, I'm leaning toward replacing the plywood with the manufactured siding panel material - more durable.

Old 09-16-16, 02:03 PM
F
Here's the opening (if the attachment works)

This is the window opening, with plywood cover (and sun flare):
Name:  window opening.jpg
Views: 107
Size:  36.5 KB

Old 09-16-16, 02:25 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
You might consider removing the plywood and the old window behind it. Then framing up and insulating but leaving the whole thing recessed in the window opening and going with a stucco finish with some sort of design or art in it to change it to a focal point.

Old 09-16-16, 03:41 PM
T
Received 17 Votes on 15 Posts
How thick is the plywood?
If it is well sealed and insulated you can stucco without the sheathing. There should be a minimum of 3/4" from the stud out. 1" is better.
The brick look quite monochromatic. With some experimentation the brick color could be matched with stucco and the joints carved in. I think if you goodle "cut brick" or "stucco brick" or something like this you will find what I am talking about. Most plasterers know how to do this. A perfect match is doubtful. You might not want to break the row lock on the sill off.
Or marksr's idea of stucco and making it an accent is good. I even thought of this. Pull back a little and give us a picture of more of the wall and we can make other suggestions

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: