Protecting bare wood for the winter

Old 10-26-16, 08:39 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Protecting bare wood for the winter

Winter is fast approaching here in the North-East. It is too late in the year for me to paint some old wood window trim, but I'd like to complete stripping the old paint so I'm ready to go as soon as the weather warms next year.

Is there anything I can apply to the wood so it will be protected over the winter yet not interfere with painting next year. How about Linseed oil? Would that be effective? Would it be a bad idea to attempt to use Latex over Linseed oil?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-27-16, 03:18 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
I'm not a painter, but I would not remove any paint or other protection from the trim to over-winter. Marksr will be along in a few minutes to give the ups and downs of it, so hang in there.

Old 10-27-16, 05:16 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 167 Votes on 148 Posts
While linseed oil should be effective [cut in half with paint thinner] I'm not sure if it would be compatible with latex primer, oil base would be ok. Thompson WaterSeal would be another option. For the most part it will wear away but again it would be best to use an oil base primer over it.

If you pick your days you may be able to prime the stripped wood. Oil base primer isn't as sensitive to cold as latex. It's best not to apply any primer until both the wood and air temps are 50 If it dips below freezing that night latex primer might freeze and loose it's bond with the wood, oil base primer would just stop drying and then go back to drying the next day [if it warms up] Inspecting and repriming in the spring would be a good idea!

Old 10-27-16, 07:23 AM
Group Moderator
Received 315 Votes on 289 Posts
If you're going to have the time to scrape and apply something to protect the bare wood go ahead and put on oil based primer. If you won't have time for priming I would would just hold off scraping until spring.

Old 10-27-16, 02:39 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks @chandler, @marksr, and @Pilot Dane.

The big variable is "how long will it take for me to finish stripping the old paint?". If the stripping were done and I knew there were a couple of warmish days coming up, then I'd put on the oil based primer (oil based does seem to be the way to go--especially this late in the year).
There are some areas where the wood is already bare, so maybe I just hit those spots if we get a couple of warmish days.
Another thing I have to contend with is that it is very likely that some of the old paint contains lead. A different area of the home's exterior tested positive for lead so I suspect that the area I want to work in now will test positive for lead too. But, that's going to be an issue regardless of the time of year I tackle this job. I have a respirator that I plan to wear. Also, I plan to use paint stripper as much as possible (vs. scraping and sanding) to limit airborne dust. Any other safety recommendations are welcomed.

Thanks again.

Old 10-27-16, 02:56 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Keep in mind that anything you do prime now will have to be re-primed in the Spring. Almost all primers are supposed to be top coated within 30 days as they develop a surface hardness that prevents good adhesion by the finish paint.

Old 10-27-16, 03:08 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 167 Votes on 148 Posts
I hadn't heard the surface hardness before on letting primer go uncoated but I know it will deteriorate when left for extended periods. Paint manufactures say it most be top coated in 30 days although I've stretched that some. It might be ok after 60 days but I'd be leery of going longer than that.