Repairing layers under brick veneer

Old 12-05-16, 01:13 PM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Repairing layers under brick veneer

I have a brick house that sustained termite damage along an exterior wall. Termites destroyed the corner structural element and a couple of the studs of the stud bays adjacent to that corner. The layering is as follows, from inside to outside: 1. Drywall; 2. Stud walls; 3. Half-inch piece of foiled rigid foam insulation with the foil facing out; 4. Housewrap; 5. A very small air gap; 6. Brick. In the corner and for at least a couple of stud bays on either side, all these layers except the brick were damaged by the termites. So my question is, once we repair the structural elements, will it possible or feasible to attempt to repair the layering from the inside out? An idea I had is to possibly build the new stud bays in the room, attach the foam and the Tyvek, and then sister that to the existing good studs and seal the gap—all from the inside. I’m trying to avoid having to tear out the brick to make this repair from the outside. Your thoughts and opinions are greatly appreciated. (Not sure why photo appears here sideways.)

Name:  IMG_0363.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  38.3 KB

Last edited by ray2047; 12-08-16 at 05:26 AM. Reason: Rotate image.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-08-16, 04:38 AM
T
Received 8 Votes on 7 Posts
a couple things occur to me
1. Usually a brick wall is attached with wall ties to the framing. Is that the case? If you can't attach to the framing it might weaken the wall in that area.
2 Your idea of putting the foam and tyvek might work. Never would have thought of it Do you intend to cut the existing studs out entirely? Can you support the ceiling and roof while the studs are gone? I suppose if they are too eaten they are not supporting much anyway.

Okay three things.
3. Brick are not waterproof. It is essential that you get proper laps and drainage to the outside. Think like water.