Repairing Exterior Stucco / Foundation at Grade

Old 12-27-16, 09:12 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Repairing Exterior Stucco / Foundation at Grade

I'm trying to figure out what if anything needs to be done at the grade level of my exterior wall. I have found small pieces of concrete that have broken off in the dirt around the wall. Do I need to repair this and what should I do?
Name:  grade_1.jpg
Views: 913
Size:  53.1 KBName:  grade_2.jpg
Views: 1385
Size:  52.4 KBName:  grade_3.jpg
Views: 1048
Size:  51.3 KBName:  grade_4.jpg
Views: 708
Size:  53.9 KBName:  grade_5.jpg
Views: 824
Size:  54.8 KBName:  grade_6.jpg
Views: 821
Size:  49.6 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 12-27-16, 09:49 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 131 Votes on 117 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

Do you have a basement? If it's a slab or crawlspace there shouldn't be anything to worry about. It's typical to just stucco down to or slightly below the grade level. There should be either concrete block or poured concrete behind the stucco.

Old 12-27-16, 11:42 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Do I see beads of styrofoam in the top picture? If so you might have synthetic stucco and should seal the bottom of that raw foam.
If this is conventional stucco then you should have the conditions that marksr mentions. Not to worry unless the aesthetics bother you.

Old 12-29-16, 08:08 AM
No its a slab. I'm located in Tampa, Florida. There is concrete behind the stucco. Its mostly concern of the aesthetics and termites coming through the dirt. I was thinking about pulling back some of the dirt and filling with mulch.

Old 12-29-16, 08:26 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Is your house concrete block or wood frame on a slab? Because the floor is typically so close to the ground and termites are so prevalent in fla I'd want to make sure there are no voids before laying down mulch if the exterior walls are wood framed. Do you treat for termites annually?

Old 12-29-16, 08:29 AM
No the white stuff in the photo is DE Powder I've been battling ants in the yard that are getting into the house as well.

Old 12-29-16, 08:34 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I wasn't referring to the powder but whether or not you are treating for termites on a regular basis. Of all the places I've lived, fla is the worst for termites Is your house block or wood framed?

Old 12-29-16, 08:41 AM
Its concrete block with an addition that's wood frame. The photos are from the wood frame section. The house was tented in May before we purchased it. Maybe I should consider a synthetic mulch or rocks instead of wood mulch? May be more expensive so wasn't sure if it was needed.
Thank you

Old 12-29-16, 08:55 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Usually a house isn't tented unless termites are found. You still need to have a yearly treatment. You can buy the poison at your local big box and treat it yourself but if you sign with a company they have to guarantee their work and have an insurance policy to cover any new termite damage.

If ants are getting into the house that means there might be enough of a void somewhere for termites to enter also. It's best not to have anything built up near the wood [dirt or mulch]

Old 12-30-16, 09:15 AM
What should I use other than dirt or mulch for the perimeter of the hose?
Thanks

Old 12-30-16, 09:22 AM
Group Moderator
Received 216 Votes on 201 Posts
Some sort of rock and some edging would be best. No dirt or mulch.

Old 12-30-16, 09:45 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
The main thing is to try and leave some space between whatever is on the ground and where the framing starts. It would be better to excavate a little and then put down the mulch or rock.

I've had to go back and paint repairs on houses in fla where the landscaper or homeowner piled mulch up the stucco allowing moisture/bugs to have an easy unnoticed entrance