Window Trim Assistance

Old 02-19-17, 05:37 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Window Trim Assistance

Hello,

Our home was built in 2007. The windows (andersen Windows if that is needed) and outside of our house need some curb appeal. Currently the windows look to small and it was suggested to possibly add some trimming around the windows to give them some size to more appropriately fit the space. The siding on the house is vinyl

Here are some pictures of the windows:
http://www.doityourself.com/forum/la...ml#post2602781

We have a few questions:

1. I am guessing we need to remove the siding to add the trim? or, when you decide the size of the trim could you simply trim away what is needed vs taking it all off?

2. What size might you recommend based on the images?

3. What sort of material would one use for the trim?

4. Would you recommend using the same color as our gables perhaps and can you get whatever material in that color do you think vs painting? (dont want to have to maintain that if i don't have to)

5. Do i need to do anything different as far as sealing the windows once i remove the siding? I am hoping the existing flashing, etc will still be sufficient.

Thanks for the assistance.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-19-17, 06:45 AM
Received 142 Votes on 132 Posts
I would consider using 1x4 or 1x6 rough cut pine or ceder which would be installed around the windows and then the vinyl edging would be installed around that.

Unfortunately the siding will have to be pulled and trimmed since everything gets installed in order with siding last.

Relatively simple job but will take some time to complete.

Old 02-19-17, 06:49 AM
Received 36 Votes on 31 Posts
Here's a website to help you with some design ideas.
https://www.certainteed.com/inspiration/
As mentioned before just adding shutters would make a huge difference to the look.
And yes the siding would need to come off to add trim around the window.
No way would I ever just cut back the siding to make it fit!!

Last edited by joecaption; 02-19-17 at 07:06 AM.
Old 02-19-17, 06:53 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 153 Votes on 136 Posts
.... and shutters can be installed over top of the siding

Old 02-19-17, 07:05 AM
Group Moderator
Received 283 Votes on 259 Posts
Vinyl shutters would be an easy alternative to going to all the work of retrimming the windows.

1). Yes, the siding should come down... easy to do. Just unzip it with a Malco Sideswiper unlock tool, and unhook it from the nails (leave them in place by carefully pulling the siding down, out, and back up again). And number all the pieces with a pencil so they go back where they once were... write that same number on the housewrap. Once new trim is on, you will need new j-channel and utility j-channel that matches the color of your siding.

2). 5/4x4. But it will make the area above the left windows kind of tight due to the gable end band board above them.

3). You could use pvc, which never rots, and it holds paint well. You could use Miratec, or LP smart trim, which holds paint okay... or you could just wrap it with 2x4's... or plywood ripped to the size you want, then clad those materials with a metal brake and aluminum trim coil that is the trim color you prefer.

4). No, if you want to just give them some size visually, I think I would keep the color Terratone bronze, like the windows are. If you paint the trim the color of the gable it will draw your eye to the windows and will accentuate them. If that is what you want to do, fine. Shutters are usually an accent color, however. The only thing available in a maintenence free finish is the aluminum trim coil, or the vinyl shutters. I would not recommend using Terratone colored pvc... the pvc I mentioned is white and would need to be painted with a vinyl-safe paint color (your gable color is likely too dark).

5). If the window nailing flanges are not taped, yes, you will want to tape the sides and top with a self adhesive flashing tape, like Pella tape (Lowes sells it).

Everyone beat me to it, because my reply was too long.

Old 02-19-17, 12:28 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks everyone for the quick responses.

Shutters if this proves to challenging, etc would be our second choice.

The terratone color is also just fine and probably makes more sense then the gable colors. That being said if i understand right we have a couple of maintenance free options.

1. Put down pine/cedar 1x4 or 5/4x4 and wrap using aluminum coil or vinyl?
@xsleeper, if using aluminum coil there is a machine if i recall that shapes this is that right or how does one easily shape it to what is needed to wrap the pine/cedar?

Lets assume everything is sealed correctly which I believe it to be. Would you take the measurements of the window regardless the wood type above, and build the trim offsite and install or would you install one board at a time sort of thing?

I am not sure what series of andersen windows i have (I believe 200 bug is a guess) i see they have a trimming system. Would this be any better in your opinion? I have no idea on the cost of that but want to see what people think of it.

Anyone know the ballpark cost of the andersen trim?

Thanks again for the help everyone.

Old 02-19-17, 02:07 PM
Group Moderator
Received 283 Votes on 259 Posts
Yes... a brake. You would have to locate and rent one. Often your lumber yard will have one they rent/loan out.

clad those materials with a metal brake and aluminum trim coil
Its the type of thing you would put up a board at a time, then clad one side at a time. You could make it look similar to using the Andersen cladding system, but you would be DIY and saving the money, would probably look almost as good.

Andersen parts are phenomenally expensive IMO... but yes, their cladding system might be an option you could consider. I have never used it. You should be able to get an estimate from their service department (look online or call) provided you give them the model number of your window. (look in the corner of the glass for their logo and code.) From the sounds of it, (image) some of the Andersen cladding profiles include an integral j-channel which would work nice with your vinyl siding.

Old 02-19-17, 02:43 PM
Received 142 Votes on 132 Posts
Put down pine/cedar 1x4 or 5/4x4 and wrap using aluminum coil or vinyl?
Personally I would use rough cut pine/cedar and paint to your desired color. I always have my facia trim in this material and use a solid color stain, like Maxum, it will last for 20 years.

A heck of a lot easier than covering with aluminum and in my opinion, like the wood vs vinyl shutters I installed, looks richer and not so cheap!