Filling holes after removing aluminum awning?

Old 03-24-17, 02:36 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Filling holes after removing aluminum awning?

Hi, all! I recently bought a new house and it has hideous metal awnings above the bedroom windows. I want to remove them, but obviously there were will be holes in the aluminum siding where the awning support bolts went through - what are my options for making the siding look normal again? It looks like the bolts are actually pretty small - maybe 1/4" diameter - no more than 1/2" diameter TOPS. Looks like there are only 4 or 5 above each window, too. Can I just fill them with caulk the same color as my siding? Is this going to look okay or are people going to be able to see a bunch of little holes above my windows? The holes would be a good 7 or 8 feet above the ground, too - this would make them harder to see right? Thoughts?

Cynthia

Sponsored Links
Old 03-24-17, 03:28 PM
Group Moderator
Received 216 Votes on 201 Posts
The holes will never be invisible but either a color matched caulk or a paintable caulk would be best.

Old 03-25-17, 07:27 AM
So caulk would be adequate? Okay here goes nothing! Thanks!

Cynthia

Old 03-25-17, 12:03 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 131 Votes on 117 Posts
If you can't find a suitable color caulk, you could use a clear latex caulk. It goes on milky but dries clear.

Old 03-25-17, 08:32 PM
My dad and I yanked the awnings off today! He already had some white outdoor paintable caulk which we used - it looks okay - hopefully I can sand it down a bit and paint it a very light gray to match the 50-year-old original white-but-aged-grayish aluminum siding. Even now with just the caulk roughly pumped in there and not sanded/painted you can't really tell anything from 20 feet away. All in all, I'm happy! The house looks SO much better/modern and my bedrooms will actually get some sunlight now! Lol! Thanks, guys!

Cynthia

Old 03-26-17, 08:08 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
I hope you didn't destroy the awnings. They may be worth some cash. I remember them when I was a kid. They really worked well in a house without any air conditioning in the summer months.

Old 03-26-17, 03:44 PM
No they didn't get torn up at all - came off super easy! There's actually a guy that comes around with an old beat up pickup truck and takes stuff like that, so we dragged the awnings out to the curb hoping he would find them. They were gone this morning - hopefully the truck guy is the one who took them. He can probably use the money more than me anyway. All went well!

Cynthia

Old 03-26-17, 05:36 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 131 Votes on 117 Posts
Caulk doesn't sand well! If any of it is proud of the siding you'd probably need to scrape it down. You may be able to dress the caulk up nicer by applying more and wiping it lightly with a damp rag/sponge.