Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Exterior Improvement Center > Exterior Paneling and All Exterior Sidings
Reload this Page >

Replacing Stucco -- Remove & Reinstall Windows Neccessary???

Old 04-11-17, 10:42 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I'm looking at a house in PA that has failing stucco on most of the exterior. I was told that if I were to tear it off and re-install new stucco that all of the windows would have to be taken out and then re-installed. Looking for a less expensive approach, I'm thinking of vinyl or Hardie siding instead of a re-stucco.

So, two questions:

1. Is the removal of the windows a common practice for a re-stucco job?

2. Would the windows need to be removed & reinstalled for a stucco removal with alternate siding installation?

I should note that the tops of the windows have some rot which may or may not be due to the lack of drainage gap between the windows and stucco.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-12-17, 04:37 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 131 Votes on 117 Posts
I'm a painter not a stucco guy but fail to understand why the windows would need to be removed. On new construction the windows go in before the stucco is applied. Same is true for other types of siding.

The gap isn't the problem, there should be flashing above the window to redirect the water up and over the window. A gap would allow rain to find it's way behind

Old 04-12-17, 10:38 AM
The proposal for a re-stucco quotes the job at $90k and includes: "Remove existing windows and re-install using Tyvec flashing tapes. Reinstall existing trim.

The inspection report says: "There is no caulk and backer rod between other materials and the masonry veneer at the windows, doors, & adjacent trim". There is wood rot at the tops of the windows as well. Maybe they weren't installed correctly to begin with, but to remove them seems like overkill.

Old 04-12-17, 02:30 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I don't know if it is necessary to remove stucco. Depending on how deteriorated it is it can be refinished
Or
The house can be relathed and stuccoed There are ways to handle the reveal or lack of it at the windows.
Or
Depending on how bad the stucco is maybe a bonding agent can be applied and it can be recoated and finished
Or
If you have a lot of money and can stand more inslulation an Exterior Insulating Finishs System (EIFS)can be applied.
I know I would not tear stucco off for what I get for putting it on.

Please put up some pictures we might fine tune our advice.

Old 04-12-17, 08:49 PM
Here's the stucco inspection. There are a lot of pictures on it. [fingers crossed that the link works]

https://www.dropbox.com/s/871k3d5tmw...ction.pdf?dl=0

Old 04-12-17, 10:35 PM
Can you put up the pictures in some easier to see format?

Old 04-13-17, 10:17 AM
I could not read the report on my Ipad. I looked at it on the desktop and read the whole thing.
Probably online somewhere are some drawings showing how window openings should be wrapped in order for moisture properly to drainThis is done before the lath is installed and there is a proper way to place the moisture resistant paper under and over the window wrap when the house is lathed.
Disregard my earlier comment about refinishing of restuccoing over the existing. You have problems to address.

Old 04-13-17, 10:46 AM
Sorry about the formatting of the link.

If all of the lathe is removed, do you see a reason why the windows would need removed & reinstalled?