Rotted siding and rim joist near porch

Old 05-13-17, 05:57 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Rotted siding and rim joist near porch

Hi, I bought a house last year with some exterior water damage and now I need to deal with it. There has not been a water-tight seal under the backdoor leading to the porch for some time. In the photos attached, you see the damage under a 2x6, which has been removed, that the previous owner used to cover it. I cut some siding away at the ends to square it up in preparation for replacing that 2x6 and sealing everything up, but the damage underneath seems like it might be significant enough that maybe the rim joist or more there should also be replaced. I'd love input on what to do here. I've gone as far as applying some wood hardener in prep for some wood filler but I'm not sure that's the right approach. Please help! Thanks! Oh yeah, there is also damage to the sill plate as you would suppose.

Name:  20170513_172535.jpg
Views: 2910
Size:  29.2 KB

Name:  20170513_172446.jpg
Views: 2526
Size:  33.6 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 05-13-17, 06:04 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Are you sure this is the rim board, and not plywood sheathing? If the latter, I would cut it out also to see just how deep it does go. If the 2x6 was just used to support the slider threshold, I would rip down a 5/4 x 6 in half and screw it to the wood behind it. No real need for such a large piece of wood as the 2x6. Is that a grounding wire or a copper tubing running across it? Something needs to be done with it.

Old 05-13-17, 06:48 PM
The sheathing material is removed in those photos, and was also essentially gone to begin with. It is this thin many-ply paper with a reflective coating on both sides, a piece of which is shown in the photo below. Actually if you could ID this that would be helpful because I don't know what it is.

I don't mind the 2x6 because, since the siding has turned to dirt between the porch and the wall, there is a gap to cover between the rim board and the porch. It may be possible to leave them separated though. I hadn't considered this before. I'll have to clean out that gap though and make sure they stay separate ... what do you think there? Anyway the 2x6 would produce some relief from the siding similar to trim, which I thought would look nice enough.

I intended to tuck the ground wire behind the porch slab. It's possible there is a NEC violation here but ... yeah ...

Name:  20170513_182949.jpg
Views: 867
Size:  33.9 KB

Old 05-13-17, 08:51 PM
Well, I can see my crawl space after pulling away soft chunks of the rim board, so I'm going to cut out this section of it and replace it. The subflooring isn't too bad and I'll just fill it I guess. Just gunna excavate until I get to the bottom of it. If the sill plate really is in bad shape I think I'll have to call in an engineer. :/

Old 05-14-17, 04:18 AM
You are doing the right thing in getting it all out and replaced. I can't identify the stuff you pulled out, but one of our other members will have an answer, so hang in there. I was hoping it was just the sheathing, but since you can see your crawl, you need to do what you are doing. Let us know if we can help further on it.

Old 05-14-17, 06:19 AM
Received 33 Votes on 30 Posts
I agree with Chandler, good that you want to fix as much as possible. However, (don't you love the however) I suspect the root problem goes back to how well the door was flashed when installed and that may mean the door has to come out, some siding come off, so you can flash and install it right.

On each side of the door you have support studs holding up a header over that door. The weight from above is resting on the rim joist below, the one that is in trouble. If that rot extends left and right beyond the door framing then the support for the header is compromised.

In addition, your concrete deck is right up against the house while the siding appears to go below the top of the foundation. That is an invitation for mor water problems and caulking is only a temporary solution.

You need more investigating and you will need to decide how big of a project you are ready for. I've done a few and I'm sure Chandler has done many and the more you dig the more you find. I hate to ask, any termites yet? That was mean.

Bud
PS the material with the foil on both side is probably one of the many foil insulation products and I don't know what they were using it for. Real flashing and house wrap are what you want. That stuff adds zero to the wall insulation value.

Old 05-17-17, 12:07 AM
Thank you so much for your input chandler and Bud! I really wasn't expecting such helpfulness...

So I bought a floor jack and replaced part of the sill (I think it's white fir I put in there before realizing the choice was important) and the bad section of the rim board. The sill is not in great shape to the right of there, but I think it's in reasonable shape so I didn't cut further.

No bugs of any sort in there, I was glad to find.

Unfortunately, I've been kind of coming to the same conclusion that door flashing and weatherproofing is quite a bit more complicated than what I'm seeing at the bottom of the door. I really had no idea. I guess I'm just going to research for now until I have a plan. The patio pour seems to meet right up with the foundation a few inches down in that trench.

Also I didn't use a sill sealer/gasket because I didn't know better so I'll need to fill it will something. Spray foam?

Name:  20170515_202015[1].jpg
Views: 937
Size:  31.4 KB

Name:  20170516_194321[1].jpg
Views: 1091
Size:  25.0 KB

Last edited by senkora; 05-17-17 at 12:22 AM.
Old 05-18-17, 11:56 AM
Ok, so I'm thinking maybe I coat the exposed wood with bitumen paint, fill the crevice between the rim board and porch with asphalt filler, get a 72"x3" aluminum threshold (the porch is 72" wide), fasten it level with porch to to rim board and bond it to the porch with roof sealer, fasten the threshold to my 2x6 trim board which I may need to rip to 2x5 or so and seal an aluminum drip cap on top of this and under the slider door jamb. In my head I have trouble keeping the drip cap from getting kicked loose so I'll probably secure the daylights out of it with caulked CSK stainless wood screws. On the inside, I'll use foam filler at the joints and cut foam insulation board to fit the joist bays, and seal those with foam filler.

If you've followed this thread, I obviously have no idea what I'm doing, so any critique is super welcome!

Old 05-18-17, 06:05 PM
Yep, you lost me at the point you were getting a threshold. What is it to be used for?

Old 05-19-17, 09:49 AM
I suppose the main function there would be to cover an indentation in the porch where the concrete was poured around some other board that was in place at the time under the sliding door. You can see where it used to be in the later photos. It was the same width as the sliding door. I don't want water to pool there or drain back toward the house so I figured a threshold could cover that and look nice and give some slope away from the house to water there and make for a greater surface area at the edge of the porch for bonding to hopefully resist forming cracks over time where water could find its way back where it doesn't belong.

Old 05-19-17, 04:44 PM
Are you talking about this area?

Name:  threshold.jpg
Views: 957
Size:  47.3 KB

Since you will be putting siding over all your repaired area, I would install flashing behind the siding and out onto the concrete a couple of inches to direct the water away from the house. I don't know how a threshold would be implemented.

Old 05-19-17, 06:00 PM
Ok, I will do that too. The threshold is only a nice looking and durable piece of aluminum that will produce the same slope away from the siding as flashing at the bottom(not using it for its original purpose). Do you figure the self-adhesive flexible stuff is ok?

Old 05-20-17, 05:03 AM
Link to the "self adhesive flexible stuff". Not sure. Flashing will go under your siding and extend out onto the concrete a bit. You really won't need anything else unless it is for aesthetics.