Filling in hole from old intercom in Stucco

Old 05-29-17, 12:59 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Filling in hole from old intercom in Stucco

Hi... I have a very old (inoperable) intercom system, with a big speaker in the stucco in front of house. I took the thing off the exterior wall and there is a big hole underneath it in the stucco, roughly 10x5 inches and about 2-3 inches deep. I'd like to fill in this hole (and ultimately stick a Ring on top of it).

Any ideas for the best way to fill this hole?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-29-17, 03:36 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Welcome to the forums! Since we can't see what you see, it would help us if you posted a picture or two of the opening (not close up). I am certain we can come up with a good solution for you.

Old 05-29-17, 10:52 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
I see these all over. I have a good idea of what you have. The way I see it you have two options
1: you can screw through the stucco and on the back side of it fasten a couple 1 X 2's longer than the narrow dimension of the hole. They might split but if not then screw a piece of diamond mesh metal lath (or 1/4" hardware cloth if you cant find a scrap of lath) Get some stucco patch and after painting the edges of the hole with bonding agent fill it full of the stucco patch and screed it off even with the existing then use some of the same material to match the texture after the first coat sets, If you can hold it in while you screw it you could use some 1.2" OSB or plywood larger than the narrow dimension of the hole and then screw that in and screw lath to that
Or
2: Break out about an inch of the stucco all the way around the hole being careful not to damage the existing wire, What you want is that inch or so of wire to which to tie new metal lath. Paint the edge of the hole and stucco as described above.

There are dozens. maybe hundreds of posts here about how to mix and apply the stucco.

what do you mean by a ring on top of the patch?