1-2 pieces of aluminum siding blew off

Old 06-13-17, 03:22 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
1-2 pieces of aluminum siding blew off

Hello,

Top of my house, 1-2 pieces of aluminum siding blew away....., just received threatening letter from HOA to replace it.

I called 20+ contractors, 19 of them say they don't do aluminum siding anymore, and its almost impossible to find, they're only willing to replace the whole house sidings.

1 of them say they're willing to tear down part of the damaged aluminum and put the rest as vinyl......~$500

I could do a claim on this with my insurance, deductible would be $1000...then trying to convince and fight them to replace the whole house.

Option A. - replace whole house siding
Option B. Pay $500 for top half be vinyl
Option C. I do this myself, take a part of the aluminium on the back of the house and put it on the top....but then need to figure out what to cover the back with.

what options would you take?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-13-17, 06:42 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I vote for option C but I wouldn't take anything off the back of the house. Find a way to patch it. Maybe you can find some pieces somewhere, scrap yard. Vinyl siding is too flammable for my liking. I can't believe that it's legal. I know of 2 instances. One where a spark from a BBQ lit the place in seconds. Another was a spark from a drive mower.

Old 06-13-17, 06:52 PM
Received 42 Votes on 37 Posts
Post a picture of where the issue is.
Never once heard of aluminum siding blowing off unless you had a hurricane.
More likely you may be talking about coil stock that was covering the fascia.
Aluminum siding in some profiles is still avalible, I've bought it at Aluminum Supply and Lancing.
When in VA are you?

Old 06-13-17, 09:21 PM
I found an option D. I found a piece from a dad's friend old house. Now i have to paint and install it...

but this whole ordeal is a mess.

Attached is the picture

I live in NOVA, for the future....where are there aluminum companies that would be willing to sell 1-2 pieces of this?

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 998
Size:  40.7 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 06-13-17 at 10:38 PM. Reason: reoriented picture
Old 06-14-17, 05:35 AM
Received 42 Votes on 37 Posts
That's a really odd place for the siding to come out like that.
It was long enough there should have been enough room to nail, and was locked into the pieces above and below plus the outside corner covering the end.
Got the old pieces that blew off?
Highly unlikely your going to find just a few pieces, more likely you will have to buy a whole square, which is 10' X 10'.
Regular vinyl siding needs 5/8 trim, any aluminum trim I've seen is about 1/2".
Vinyl siding needs room to expand and contract, if it's too tight it will buckle.
Google "Lancing Building Products Locations" , "ABC Supply" , and "Alside" all have locations in Northern VA.
To replace those pieces you have to remove any piece above it and start at the bottom and work your way up.
There's just is no way to replace a piece in the middle without damage to the siding.