Large exterior cracks between stucco and wood molding

Old 07-10-17, 05:06 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Large exterior cracks between stucco and wood molding

Our 8 year old home has large gaps between the stucco and wood molding half way up the rear exterior wall. The bottom half of our house is stucco, and the top half is wood siding.

It looks like the wood molding warped badly and pulled away from the stucco. What is the easiest way to fix this? Is simply filling and caulking it an option, or do I need to remove the entire wood molding and replace it with a new one?

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

By the way, the gaps are larger than they look in the photo. They are probably 3/4" at the widest point, and that wood piece looks to be a 2 x 12? So it's a very large piece of wood. I don't think I can just bend and nail it back in place.

Thanks for any advice you may be able to provide.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-10-17, 05:11 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Did the molding warp or did the house settle? Look at the ground.

Old 07-10-17, 05:23 PM
Group Moderator
Received 229 Votes on 211 Posts
Looks like those nails on the corner probably missed the studs or weren't long enough. There is probably only one stud there and if there is foam behind the stucco it's EIFS. You can probably remove the caulking, squirt a little new caulk into the miter, then get some HDG Maze splitless siding nails that are long enough, and renail it. Once it's tight to the stucco (looks like EIFS to me) then toe nail the miter together with short galvanized finish nails on alternating sides.

Recaulk it once you're done... be sure to check the top edges too.

Old 07-10-17, 05:23 PM
Received 112 Votes on 103 Posts
Is simply filling and caulking it an option, or do I need to remove the entire wood molding and replace it with a new one?
I agree some further investigation is need to really determine what is going on. But, just blowing in some caulk is a krappy band aid that doesn't fix the issue. It's your house, you have a lot invested, need to do it right!

Old 07-10-17, 05:37 PM
That's why I'm asking, I'm not sure how to do it right. I know some cracks are typically sealed with caulk, that's why I asked, as I'm not sure what the normal course of action for this would be. Thanks for your input though.

Old 07-10-17, 05:40 PM
The molding is definitely cracked and warped at both back corners of the house. The molding is pulling away from the wall.

Old 07-10-17, 05:44 PM
Thank you, I'm going to give this a shot and see if I can get that wood to bend back into place. Again, it is a very thick (approx 1.5 to 2 inch) board, so I don't know if it will bend back or not.

Old 07-10-17, 05:49 PM
Group Moderator
I don't know where you shop, but you might want to buy some long exterior trim screws. They will help suck the trim back in... assuming you can find a stud.

Menards has a nice variety of them... but its not a nation wide chain.

Old 07-10-17, 08:12 PM
Thanks, I will try that next. The nails were a failure. Couldn't budge the wood.

Old 07-11-17, 04:42 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 132 Votes on 118 Posts
Dried wood can be difficult to get to draw back up. Put as much pressure on it as you can when you drive in the screws. The odds are you won't be able to get it perfect but you should be able to get the gap closed up some, then caulk and touch up with the solid stain. It shouldn't be too noticeable once repaired.

Old 07-11-17, 03:01 PM
You were right, it wasn't easy. But it looks to be the most promising option. I was able to get one corner to partially draw in using screws to get it pretty close.

But the board is splitting due to the pressure of being pulled back in. Guess I'll just finish it all up and see how long it lasts like this.

Old 07-11-17, 03:28 PM
Group Moderator
If cosmetics don't matter, put a hot dipped galvanized flat washer behind your screw head... or get some long ceramic coated lag screws (T-30 w/round head). They will pull it together as long as you hit the stud.

Drilling a pilot hole through the trim will allow it to slide on the screw as you draw it down tight... the head will have all the holding power as you tighten it with an impact drill.

Last edited by XSleeper; 07-11-17 at 03:53 PM.
Old 07-11-17, 04:06 PM
This is a really great idea, and I suspect it will hold much longer. Thank you.

Old 07-11-17, 04:33 PM
Group Moderator
Sure... just be sure you only drill the large hole through the trim only... NOT into the wall behind!

Old 07-12-17, 11:16 AM
Now you tell me! Just kidding. Thanks again for your help.