Caulk between vinyl window & PVC, or "let it flow"?

Old 07-13-17, 06:43 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Caulk between vinyl window & PVC, or "let it flow"?

Hello,

I'm trimming out my vinyl windows with PVC trim.
Should I caulk (and close up) the gap between the window and the trim, or should it be left open to allow water to move along the sides of the window?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-13-17, 07:00 AM
Received 112 Votes on 103 Posts
Vinyl itself is not water tight it just sits over the wrap so water freely flows. It wont help or hurt. I caulk certain areas only for appearance.

Old 07-13-17, 07:01 AM
Group Moderator
Received 228 Votes on 210 Posts
Yes, you generally caulk it to keep water out. OSI Quad or Quad Max is a good choice on pvc and vinyl.

Old 07-13-17, 08:59 AM
Thanks Marq1 & XSleeper.

XSleeper, as a side note, you may recall I had a thread regarding salvaging my existing wood windows. Well, we got into it--chemically stripping and scraping the old lead paint--and decided "this just isn't worth it". So, we ordered vinyl windows. I would have loved to use fiberglass instead, but it was more expensive than we could justify (especially since we started out thinking we were spending $0 for those windows).

One more side note (actually, a question). I do use OSI Quad, but I can't seem to make it look good. The manufacturer says it is not supposed to be tooled, but, I'm wondering if, in practice, people tool it anyway.

Thanks again.

Old 07-13-17, 09:32 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 132 Votes on 118 Posts
I don't use OSI Quad often but I have tooled it with no ill effects that I know of. Use rag damp with paint thinner. I try to always apply caulk neatly but often it takes a little to dress it up, it is beneficial to press caulk into the joint.

Old 07-13-17, 08:48 PM
Thanks marksr.
I agree. Pressing caulk into the joint is important and that's what leads to a mess for me. I see videos of people moving smoothly and quickly over a joint, but it doesn't seem that they get caulk deep into the joint. But, I tend to go in the other direction by pressing and overfilling.

Old 07-14-17, 05:13 AM
Group Moderator
Received 228 Votes on 210 Posts
Achieving good caulking takes practice, and some people never get the knack for it. A high quality gun helps too. Cutting the tip at the right angle and the right size helps. Holding that tip at the right angle to the work... turning it open at the right angle as you caulk... (this way tge nozzle itself does the toolibg as you move) and keeping all of that consistent as you caulk... plus the speed you move (one smooth movement... no starting and stopping) and the amount you squeeze. (This is where a good gun pays off... so that you don't have to pump with your hand a lot as you move) And you have to keep the tip of the nozzle clean. (Wiping it clean once you complete each side)

And after getting all the above down pat, I find that the faster I caulk the better it turns out.

I think Quad doesn't recommend tooling because it skins over so quickly. But if you have to, use a Dixie cup filled with paint thinner and dip your finger frequently. I think primarily they don't want the bead getting feathered out thin along the edges. Check the tube for the recommended size and shape.

Old 07-14-17, 06:45 AM
Thanks again @XSleeper
I appreciate the tips.