What to do with hairline stucco cracks?

Old 07-26-17, 02:01 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
What to do with hairline stucco cracks?

I own a fairly new stucco home (approximately 2 years old) in Houston, TX and noticed a couple hairline cracks in the exterior stucco. Hopefully from just new home settling...?

My question is what to do with the hairline cracks, if anything? I was initially thinking fill with some elastomeric caulk and reapply some of the colored stucco over the caulk after dry. Is this a good idea or no? The stucco is colored and not painted. I obviously want to see the repair job as little as possible.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-26-17, 02:07 PM
Super Moderator
Ignore them...all stucco gets fine cracks. Any repair will be far more visible than the cracks. You shouldn't worry about water penetration either since stucco is porous anyway, thats what the water barrier will take care of.

Old 07-26-17, 02:41 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 104 Votes on 95 Posts
I agree, unless you intend to paint the 'repair' will look worse than the crack.

Old 07-26-17, 04:11 PM
I'm not at all worried about the look of the unrepaired cracks. If I just leave them, there is no additional chance of water penetration? A google search made me believe they should be repaired...

Old 07-26-17, 06:02 PM
Super Moderator
The only issue with a crack could be water migration and freezing, but with hairline cracks that's not really an issue.

If water really gets in there, the water barrier (either roofing felt, house wrap, or similar) will shed it off so it drains to the bottom.

Cracks may look slightly bigger in very cold weather and smaller in summer due to expansion. Unless they start to chip out on the sides and look unsightly, there's no reason to do anything.

No repair (like fill and paint or caulk and cover) will blend well either. If you did really want to cover them, then you would need to paint the whole house with a elastomeric paint and plan on doing it every 8-10 years from now on. I don't know why you'd do that to a basically maintenance free surface like you have now.

Old 07-27-17, 03:23 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 104 Votes on 95 Posts
If you have a wood frame house there will be felt or house wrap behind the stucco lath and as Vic said that will prevent any water that gets thru the stucco from getting to the framing. If it's a block house the stucco might be applied directly to the block but between the stucco and block it's highly unlikely water can get deep enough to cause any concern.

Cement products will crack, that is just there nature and since they are just hairline cracks they cause no problem. it's just cosmetic.

Old 07-27-17, 07:52 AM
I appreciate the great responses. Looks like I'll leave everything as is and just watch to make sure the cracks don't get too large.

Thanks again for the info!