Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Exterior Improvement Center > Exterior Paneling and All Exterior Sidings
Reload this Page >

What to seal old drill holes on outside stucco wall with? Also, drill bit size?

Old 07-29-17, 07:58 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

What to seal old drill holes on outside stucco wall with? Also, drill bit size for new holes?
I am replacing an irrigation controller with another one of different dimensions. So I have to remove the existing controller and drill new holes since the existing holes won’t work. My questions are:
1) What to seal the old holes (3) with? Want to patch them up rather than leave them. I believe the wall has a thin layer of stucco over wood but not sure. The exterior is definitely stucco. Give me some product recommendations you have used successfully. In the future, I will paint over these filled holes but not immediately.
2) For the new holes (2), I was given 1/8 inch screws to hang the new controller on. What size drill bit should I use to pre-drill the holes?
Thanks so much in advance!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-29-17, 08:19 PM
Group Moderator
Received 381 Votes on 358 Posts
Try to use the existing holes to probe for something solid. Then you'll know what to use and the proper length.

Many times there is foam behind stucco making installations hard. I run into the problem all the time. I'll usually make one mounting hole just thru the surface and use a probe to see how far back a solid surface is. If I'm mounting something heavy I'll use spacers between the item and the solid wall to keep the wall from being compressed and cracking the stucco.

You can use silicone to fill the old holes but it's not easily paintable. You could use a latex caulk that would be more paintable.

Possibly after probing the existing holes you'll find something solid and then just longer screws.

Old 07-30-17, 12:44 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks PJ,
So what size drill bit would u recommend if the appropriate screw were 1/8th? Is there a rule of thumb I should follow for drill bit size versus any screws?

What does a spacer look like? Is it a plastic flat piece I can buy?

Also, as an aside, for this website how does one save their PW so it doesn’t have to be input everytime? I don’t see any such function.
Additionally, seems the site has embedded video ads. Maybe its my computer or Internet but its makes the site extremely laggy to the point where I don’t enjoy trying to post or respond to posts. I have to type everything in Word then paste it in to make it expeditious. Its terribly annoying to type text into the boxes otherwise. Insanely laggy.

Old 07-30-17, 10:38 AM
Group Moderator
Received 381 Votes on 358 Posts
This is just a generic picture of spacers. There are hundreds of different sizes and compositions. I pickup them all the time and add them to my collection. Most hardware stores have them in drawers.

Name:  spacers.jpg
Views: 1695
Size:  20.8 KB

When drilling a hole in stucco.... you just want to use a drill bit slightly larger than the screw. It's just to keep the stucco from cracking. If you use spacers.... the hole you drill is the same as the spacer diameter.

Your sprinkler controller doesn't need spacers.

The techs have been working on the log in problem for quite a while now. We had an anticipated date of completion but that has come and gone.