Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Exterior Improvement Center > Exterior Paneling and All Exterior Sidings
Reload this Page >

Should I replace the Lowe's house wrap I just installed with Tyvek?

Old 08-07-17, 12:02 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I'm redoing my exterior siding and had some Lowe's house wrap lying around that I wanted to use up. Unfortunately, I came up short and needed to go buy more. It wasn't until I saw the price difference between Home Depot's Everbuilt brand and Tyvek that I searched the differences and found out how terrible cheaper Tyvek alternatives are.

I bought real Tyvek wrap and I'm thinking of tearing all of the Lowe's wrap down and replacing it with Tyvek. It wasn't a very big section of the house maybe 200 sq ft minus a regular and bay window and a door. Before doing that though, I wanted to double check that it's really the best way to go.

If it matters I'm planning on putting some sort of wood siding possibly cedar shingles.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 08-07-17, 12:12 PM
Group Moderator
Received 299 Votes on 272 Posts
I have seen Lowe's wrap that is paper just like tyvek and its fine. But if it is woven plastic, its crap. I wouldn't put that on a doghouse.

If you use cedar siding, that would benefit from an air space (rain screen on top of wrb) and back priming.

Old 08-07-17, 03:35 PM
Received 33 Votes on 30 Posts
The house wrap is your WRB (water-resistive barrier), your drain plane and IMO the better product should be your choice, especially with cedar shakes as they may not be 100% water tight after a few years.

Bud

Old 08-07-17, 04:26 PM
Thanks for the advice guys. Yeah, it's the woven plastic, looks like I'm tearing it down...at least I figured it out now!

XSleeper, thanks for the tip on air space behind the siding, I'll look into it.

And thanks for the explanation of WRB, Bud, I was meaning to look it up after reading XSleeper's comment earlier lol.

Old 08-09-17, 08:12 AM
Does "fabric" construction matter? Don't they have to pass the same tests (durability, UV resistance, vapor passage, etc) to be certified? ARE they certified? Is this an opinion debate like "Castrol motor oil is better then WalMart oil"?

Seems like each year I see a couple new names on house wrap as manufacturers race to get a piece of the action of what has become a "must have" product.

Old 08-09-17, 09:03 AM
Group Moderator
Received 299 Votes on 272 Posts
Good article on the subject... too much info to comment on here. Suffice to say, not all housewraps are created equal.