Cement fiber siding on a small barn

Old 08-25-17, 02:25 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cement fiber siding on a small barn

I'm putting in a run in shelter for a horse. I had planned on framing the thing and then putting plywood etc. with cement siding planks on the outside. I'm assuming that I do need to do the plywood sheeting first - if that is incorrect just let me know. How heavy does the plywood sheeting need to be since this is more of an animal shelter then home? Yes I do want it to last, but I have a tendency towards overkill :-) obviously it's nice to save money I don't need to spend as well. I'm aware that I also need to do the felting layer in between. I'd like the shelter to not look haphazard and to somewhat match the home nearby hence the fiber siding which, next spring, will be put on the entire house. The bottom 4 feet on the inside of the building will also be lined with 2" x 6" kickboards so the plywood and fiber siding should not be affected by the horse inside directly. The building will be 10 feet deep by 24 feet wide, with an 8 foot high back height and the front height will be 10 feet high. I'll be putting a metal roof on top of the roof structure once it's completed.

thanks!
julie

Sponsored Links
Old 08-25-17, 03:06 PM
Group Moderator
Received 302 Votes on 275 Posts
If you omit sheathing you need to use some steel bracing to firm up and square your outside corners. You could apply your housewrap (wrb) directly over the studs but it is more susceptible to puncture as it will be exposed on the interior side of the wall.

It might make more sense to put sheathing on the walls instead. A minimum of 7/16" osb or plywood, then your wrb, then your siding.