Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Exterior Improvement Center > Exterior Paneling and All Exterior Sidings
Reload this Page >

Ok to use GAF Stormguard underlayment instead of housewrap on a small wall?

Old 08-26-17, 05:00 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I'm redoing the exterior siding on part of my house, including replacing the old felt paper. Unfortunately, I ran out of Tyvek wrap with a 5x10 wall, and a 11x3 strip at the top of a different wall left to cover.

Instead of buying another roll of Tyvek house wrap (since it's expensive), can I use Stormguard underlayment I have left over from redoing the roof? I know the house needs to breathe, but I'm hoping the wall is small enough that it will survive...lol

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 08-26-17, 07:19 PM
Group Moderator
Received 302 Votes on 275 Posts
The GAF Stormguard is vapor barrier, perms are < .01. So its not ideal to have a vb on exterior walls unless you are located in the deep south. But if its a small area it won't be a big problem. Your call.

Old 08-26-17, 11:06 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ok, thank you. 5x10 seems small, kind of tall, but not covering much distance/width of the house...If I look around I probably have something different that might work better...or I have the last bit of Lowe's woven plastic crap you said a couple weeks ago you wouldn't put on your dog house haha.