sheathing under stucco necessary here?

Old 08-27-17, 07:08 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
sheathing under stucco necessary here?

Hello, having replaced front door and side light, I want to replace the old cedar shingles by stucco around the entrance, which is two 7' x 2-1/2' wall segments on both sides from the door. Please see the image.

There is no sheathing under the shingles in the entire house. Instead, the shingles are installed on horizontal 1"-by-8" boards nailed so that the gaps are 6". Felt paper is nailed to the wall studs underneath the boards.

My question is: Can I attach another layer of felt paper over these 1"-by-8" boards followed by lath and then go ahead with stucco? These boards will give enough structural support for the lath and stucco, the gaps are only 6"; and these are just small size surfaces.

Attached Images  

Last edited by harum; 08-27-17 at 07:35 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-27-17, 07:14 PM
Group Moderator
Received 228 Votes on 210 Posts
You would likely want to remove the horizontal boards, then nail up your stuccowrap or double layer of felt over the studs, then you would be ready to attach your metal lathe and metal stucco edgings.

Old 08-27-17, 09:06 PM
Thanks, XSleeper! Yes, I could remove the horizontal boards. Without them, 16" stretches of lath/stucco between studs won't have any support behind them. Would this be acceptable? On the photo, there's no sheathing underbeath that old tar paper, just inter-stud space filled with insulation.

Old 08-27-17, 09:54 PM
Group Moderator
Received 228 Votes on 210 Posts
That's the way millions of stucco houses in Arizona, California, and other SW climates were built.

Old 08-27-17, 11:06 PM
Makes sense now. Thanks! Yes, I'd prefer to remove the boards for extra depth.