Hanging patio blind from stucco

Old 10-14-17, 02:58 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hanging patio blind from stucco

I am attempting to mount a retractable blind to a stucco cross-beam on a patio in an Arizona backyard. The beam seems hollow, just chicken-wire and stucco. I think there is a steel beam about a foot above the stucco. Here is a pic:

Here is a pic after installing the first bracket. I used 3” spring-loaded molly bolts:

The mollies seemed to hold tight enough:

But, I could tell when tightening the bolts that they probably wouldn’t hold up for the crank-side.

After raising and lowering the blind a couple of times, the crank-side started to wobble. There is no way this will hold up just under normal use, forget about with wind.

I removed the blind and brackets and took pics of the holes before patching:

So, molly bolts alone are not going to work.

My next Idea was to attach a board to the stucco cross-beam using several mollies, then attach the blind to the board; but I’m concerned whether the stucco and chicken wire can hold that much, particularly with moderate to heavy winds in the desert.

What is the best way to hand a blind in this situation?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-15-17, 03:38 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 321 Votes on 285 Posts
How much does the blind weigh? It's best to have it secured in lumber, if the blind won't line up with joists you'd need to install a board that can be attached to joists and then screw the blind to that board.

Old 10-17-17, 05:09 PM
T
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
How old is the house? The reason I ask is because there might be foam behind the stucco and the stucco is only about a quarter inch thick. In a stiff wind the blind will pull out. But there must be some structure of some kind there. So if you can't find joists or plates or something where you need them you will have to follow marksr's suggestion and attach a board to the structure and then position the blind where you need it with appropriate screws.\
If this is conventional three coat stucco about 3/4" thick molly bolts should hold well. Only thing is drilling the hole creates a crater on the inside. Putting two anchors close together is not appreciably stronger.