Vinyl siding question (seal gap?)

Old 10-21-17, 08:01 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Vinyl siding question (seal gap?)

We moved into our current house in late 2015. At the time, since the house was not lived in for 2 years, there was a mouse problem. We had an exterminator at the time who sealed up all of the visible holes he could. After that contract expired, we went with another exterminator who suggested external bait traps. It has reduced the problem, but not elimiated it (some say impossible)

I went outside today and noticed a dead mouse half way lodged underneath the vinyl siding (see attached picture) If I didn't see it with my own eyes, I wouldn't have believed it.

Here is my question. Must the bottom of the last row of vinyl shingles be left alone to allow any water to drain or could I seal the gap with caulk?

Attached Images  
Old 10-21-17, 10:29 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Yes, water needs to drain out the bottom. Critters can get behind the siding, it's just a fact. You hopefully have another old layer of siding behind that, or at least some plywood sheathing. That is what keeps the mice out... not the vinyl siding.

Old 10-21-17, 11:48 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
Depends, if you have a J channel and that is where they are getting in you can caulk between that and the house,

Each piece of siding has drain holes in the lowest part, you can not fill those or the space between the siding and the J or starter panel.

Old 10-21-17, 12:50 PM
Group Moderator
Its apparent there is no j-channel on the bottom, only starter strip.

Mice can crawl up the hollow corner posts too. I don't think I would caulk them shut. Vinyl siding does not fit tight inside j- channels or corner posts, you don't caulk them shut, and there are voids behind the lap siding too. Caulking is not usually the solution to a mouse problem. Bottom line is you don't caulk places where water needs to weep out. That means anything on top of the WRB that might create a dam.

If your home has 1" thick foam insulation, you would be able to see that when you look under the siding. Its possible mice could eat into the foam. No real solution for that unless you want to take the siding off. Generally you want to cap the bottom end of the foam just to cover it before you put the starter strip on.

Old 10-21-17, 02:08 PM
C
I already used “Kritter caps” for the corners, so I’m not concerned about those.

A local roofing supply suggested stuffing the bottom with steel wool?

Old 10-21-17, 02:25 PM
Group Moderator
Yes, steel wool is the usual "mouseproofing" material. Keep in mind it will rust and could stain your foundation. If it makes you feel better, go ahead and try that.

Old 10-21-17, 02:38 PM
C
I would have thought that someone would have made a product similar to Kritter caps for the bottom edge of siding.

Thanks

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: