Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Exterior Improvement Center > Exterior Paneling and All Exterior Sidings
Reload this Page >

Advice Needed - Discovered failed permit on property related to Z-Flashing

Advice Needed - Discovered failed permit on property related to Z-Flashing

Old 01-31-18, 10:00 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Advice Needed - Discovered failed permit on property related to Z-Flashing

Hello,

I'm looking for some advice about a failed and pending building permit from 2012 that I just discovered on my property. I went to the permit office and was informed there is an outstanding permit that failed final inspect and the notes say:

"1. install "Z" flashing above garage door, windows, and doors;
2. Seal at roof-wall intersections/all other locations where moisture can penetrate into bldg envelope."

This permit was pulled before we owned the house (shame on me for not finding it before I bought the place) and now I'm in the process of trying to sell the property, and I want to make sure I get this squared away for potential buyers.

My questions are as follows:

1. Is there any way to correct the Z flashing after siding and trim is complete? Any products that can do this on a budget?

My main goal is to get this done as quickly and economically as possible (but correctly) in order to reschedule the final inspection and move forward.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-31-18, 11:34 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 632 Votes on 584 Posts
Z flashing needs to be installed behind the siding and trim. So, carefully pull off the trim and siding and install the proper flashing. Then re-install the siding and trim.

Have you already spoken to the Inspections Dept. about resolving the issue? Will they permit you to complete the work under the old permit? My Inspections department considers a project dead if no work has been done for 12 months. After that a new permit, under the current codes, must be taken out to complete the work.

Old 01-31-18, 12:01 PM
J
Thanks. Yes, I went in person and spoke with them yesterday. The Assistant Supervisor for the Building Permit division told me the following:

"You need to contact the Contractor. If hes not in business you will need to hire another contractor and they will need to do a change of contractor.

I contacted the contractor today that pulled the permit and they are going to come out tomorrow to look to see how to resolve. I'm hoping to get some insight into why it was left unfinished after the final inspection failed and hopefully a resolution. Seems like this contractor didn't do it to code (I'm in FL btw).

Old 01-31-18, 12:06 PM
Group Moderator
Received 676 Votes on 625 Posts
It would help to know what kind of siding and trim you have in these areas. We aren't psychic. Include a picture or two if you can.

Old 01-31-18, 12:41 PM
J
It's Hardie Board siding

Old 01-31-18, 03:30 PM
Group Moderator
Received 676 Votes on 625 Posts
It looks as if they put the trim on top of the siding. (In California fashion) A close up of the side of the trim would confirm this if you can see the sIding go behind the side trim and they left it uncaulked. If so, you would draw a pencil line around the top piece of trim, then remove the top piece of trim, and use a grinder or skilsaw to cut along the line. You would slip the z flashing in (make sure the flashing is deep enough to cover the top trim), add a piece of cement board to the wall sheathing as a shim (can't tell you exactly how thick this needs to be, but it will probably need to be 2 pieces of siding laid flat on each other) then put the top trim back on and caulk the edges.