Mounting semi-flush electrical panel?

Old 02-07-18, 12:42 PM
Mounting semi-flush electrical panel?

Ok, final reiteration. I'm removing my old 100 amp semi-flush outside panel in stucco and installing new 200 amp panel. My question is do I mount the panel directly to the studs or add flashing to the studs first, mount panel then overlap paper and wire.

skeeter

Sponsored Links
Old 02-07-18, 01:01 PM
Here are some old and new pics.

Attached Images   
Old 02-08-18, 03:27 PM
How does the new compare Physically in size to the old? How much stucco will be removed or how much will be filled in?
My old box looked just like yours. The new one was different. The electrician broke the stucco out around the new box in order to get it set right and have something to mount it too. Seems like he added a little blocking. I meticulously under lapped new paper at the top and over lapped the sided and bottom. I used diamond mesh lath instead of woven wire to lath it. I have actually done several of these behind other electricians and I am super careful to get good over and under lap on the paper and I have never thought about adding a flashing at the top. Might be a good idea but most of the time the box is pretty protected by the eaves.

What does the inspector say about the proximity of the water hydrant to the box?

Old 02-08-18, 07:37 PM
The new box is the same width but a lot taller. I do plan on overlapping the paper and add a tighter wire like a mesh you mention. Just wondering if I am missing anything. Are you saying I don't need to put flashing under the box's flange. Just overlap it over the flange?

The city didn't seem concern about the water spigot when I pulled the permit.

skeeter

Old 02-09-18, 01:58 PM
Think like water. You want to keep water out of the box of course, but it should be designed so that is the case. You want to keep water out of the wall cavity. My thinking is that with proper over and underlaps of the paper over the flange on the box all the way around any water that gets on the wall should run down the outside of the box and on down between the paper and stucco until it exits at the weep screed.
After I stuccoed my new box in the inspector still wanted a bead of caulk around the box but there was no inspection of the lathing before I stuccoed it in or he might have thought my installation of the paper and lath was adequate.