Replacing rotting siding and edge of roof

Old 03-08-18, 10:08 AM
Replacing rotting siding and edge of roof

I have a building behind my house that has seen its better day in regards to some repair work that needs to be done. This building has plywood siding and was built in the early 1990s. Some of the plywood siding has started to deteriorate and I need to replace it. My question to you all is should I go with traditional plywood here, or should I try something else? I have seen Home Depot and Lowe's offering fiber type materials for exterior walls. My second issue is that a corner of the roof at the overhang has rotted completely away and I need to repair this. It's just a small section but I'm not sure how to do that. The shingles are also gone from this area.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-08-18, 11:44 AM
Group Moderator
I would go with some type of Hardie product for the siding. It's cement based and impervious to water and rot.

As for the roof you'll need to remove the shingles from the damaged area. Cut out the rotten sheeting. Then inspect the rafters to make sure they are not rotten and are still good to hold nails. Cut new sheeting and nail in place on the roof. Then replace the shingles. Often roof sheeting rotting at the edge can be from not having enough shingle overlap to protect the end of the sheeting and/or not having a drip edge.

Old 03-25-18, 04:04 PM
I installed this roof with my father about 20 years ago. I can assure you it was done right, had a family of carpenter's (they are all gone now though). The rafters look good, I think a lot of this came from neglect. The exposed rafters and fascia boards were never painted.

I went with 1/2" bc plywood since that's what we had installed previously. I guess I'll need to cut the nasty areas and replace with good siding and paint it. What are your suggestions for sanding the plywood that remains?

Old 03-26-18, 03:21 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
If you post a pic or two of the plywood siding we'd have a better idea of what prep is needed prior to painting ..... that is what you are asking, right?

Old 04-03-18, 09:44 PM
A couple images are attached.

Attached Images   
Old 04-04-18, 03:50 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
The siding is awfully close to the ground. I'd be inclined to cut off the bottom 5.5" and install flashing and a pressure treated 1x6. Any damage higher up might require a complete replacement 0f that sheet of plywood. I'd coat all the plywood with an oil base primer before applying 1-2 coats of a latex house paint.

Old 04-04-18, 02:38 PM
Its 6 inches above ground. Though it looks closer.

Old 04-04-18, 02:49 PM
At least it isn't that masonite style fiber siding that's on my house. That's another story.