Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Replacing rotting siding and edge of roof

03-08-18, 09:08 AM   #1  
Replacing rotting siding and edge of roof

I have a building behind my house that has seen its better day in regards to some repair work that needs to be done. This building has plywood siding and was built in the early 1990s. Some of the plywood siding has started to deteriorate and I need to replace it. My question to you all is should I go with traditional plywood here, or should I try something else? I have seen Home Depot and Lowe's offering fiber type materials for exterior walls. My second issue is that a corner of the roof at the overhang has rotted completely away and I need to repair this. It's just a small section but I'm not sure how to do that. The shingles are also gone from this area.

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

03-08-18, 10:44 AM   #2  
I would go with some type of Hardie product for the siding. It's cement based and impervious to water and rot.

As for the roof you'll need to remove the shingles from the damaged area. Cut out the rotten sheeting. Then inspect the rafters to make sure they are not rotten and are still good to hold nails. Cut new sheeting and nail in place on the roof. Then replace the shingles. Often roof sheeting rotting at the edge can be from not having enough shingle overlap to protect the end of the sheeting and/or not having a drip edge.

Search this Thread