Matching vintage cedar siding

Old 05-01-18, 10:54 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Matching vintage cedar siding

I have an old 1960's house that has the original 9 1/4 inch cedar lap siding (painted) still on it. It looks like the garage may have had a fire on the side at some point or something because the siding is gone between the garage and the fence. Is there are less expensive way to match up that side with old siding rather than trying to buy those boards now? No one can see that side of that garage anyway, so looking for a fix on the cheap...

Sponsored Links
Old 05-01-18, 02:34 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 316 Votes on 280 Posts
Not sure I understand, do you have old siding to go on that side? You could use T-111 or RB&B instead of lap siding on the side if the difference in siding type doesn't bother you.

Old 05-02-18, 08:07 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
No, the one side of the garage has nothing but plywood on now. Someone may have put that up after they took off the old siding. I really don't care if the siding is the same material, just want it to look half decent and be inexpensive - will paint it all anyway. Could either of the 2 you suggested match up with the profile of the existing cedar lap siding?

Hard to justify spending $50 a board to side a garage wall no one hardly sees in a rental property.

Old 05-02-18, 08:15 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 316 Votes on 280 Posts
T-111 or RB&B would be the cheapest - they're 4x8' sheets of plywood with a rough finish with grooves every so often. If you want to match the siding but with a cheaper wood you might look at pine or maybe hardi.