Re-staining cedar siding

Old 05-04-18, 05:42 AM
Re-staining cedar siding

The house and garage are due for a new staining. IN the past i have cleaned the wood and stripped off all old stain, used a brightner and then restained.

That is a lot of work and usually takes more than a weeks time.

Can i just put on another coat over my old one if it is an oil based stain without removing all the old stain? Historically i have used Cabots deck and siding stain.

This would save me a bunch of time

Sponsored Links
Old 05-04-18, 07:18 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Normally a complete strip of the old stain isn't needed but a lot depends on the type of stain you are using - toner or translucent, semi-transparent or solid stain. The condition of the existing stain also plays a part.

Old 05-04-18, 09:04 AM
Group Moderator
I would still at least be cleaning it. Mark covered the rest.

Old 05-04-18, 12:43 PM
I think i will try that this year. Clean it good......but not strip it. No bleaching and then just a coat. The stain i have used is a semi transparent oil based stain from cabot. It lasted much longer than the behr stuff i was using from homedepot prior.

Old 05-04-18, 01:05 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Semi-transparent usually does ok going over old semi-transparent providing the color is the same or close. If there is any mildew you'll want to use bleach otherwise TSP works well.

Old 05-07-18, 12:11 PM
I show no staining or blacking / mold anywhere. The old stain is just wearing thin in spots. WHat would be the recommended TSP / WATER / Bleach mixture i should use to get things clean if there is no staining? I figure if i get time i can wash this week and likely stain next week. I dont want to over clean or bleach things out and make more work for myself in the process.

Old 05-07-18, 01:18 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I don't remember how much TSP I add to the mix. I usually cut the bleach half and half with water. rinse well. Not sure you can get the siding too clean although the main thing is to remove any dirt/mildew that is on the surface. Any lightening the bleach does to the wood/stain will be inconsequential.

Old 05-13-18, 11:03 AM
i have spent the morning hand washing the house and the garage. The garage sits in the sun and it shows. I used a bit of TSP and a 1 to .5 mixture of bleach and water. LOTs of scrubing. It is drying now. I didnt use any wood brighter or anything. The bare spots appear greyish but are likely still wet. I am thinking i can go right over this.

I have no idea what kind of stain the last owner used on the house. Is there any way of telling. IT appears to be either a fully transparent or a semi...i do think it is also oil based but am unsure......and it must have been good stuff. I have been here over 15 years and this is the first year im going to redo it. It really doesnt even need it but it is wearing thin in spots. It is in the shade so that probably saved the stain all these years. Is there any way to tell what kind of stain is on there or am i stuck? I suppose i could find test spot and try to go over it with some of what i have and see how it turns out. Id rather do it right if there is a way to tell.

Old 05-13-18, 12:08 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
With paint you can test using denatured alcohol. Latex paint will be partially dissolved when scrubbed with denatured alcohol but has no effect [other than cleaning] on oil base. Products like 'goof off' and 'oops' will do the same thing. I don't know for sure if this test works with stain although either type of stain should be fine over weathered siding.

A translucent or toner stain is almost clear and will show all the different colors naturally in the wood. Semi-transparent will give a more consistent color. I doubt that a translucent stain would have held up for 15 yrs.