Vinyl Roll Flashing over t1-11 ?

Old 05-23-18, 08:37 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Vinyl Roll Flashing over t1-11 ?

I have a shed with T1-11 on it and there are two small area on each side that have rotting boards on the bottom. I did see suggestions of siding over it, and cutting several inches off the bottom slap on metal drip edge thingy, a 2x10, etc...
I had planned on painting over the gosh awlful baby poop mustard color starting tomorrow (first time it 3 weeks that it's not calling for rain for 3 whole days straight.) Anyhow I pressure washed it the other day, (in the rain) and found these mushy spots.

First thing that came to mind, before i started reading all the forums was to simply nail up some vinyl flashing directly over it and slide some type of J-F channel under the bottom to keep the rain splash off of it.
I'm a Female and I ADMIT that I don't know everything, like the names of the channels, and edge stuff or z type flashings, etc.... but when I go to the store I can usually pick out what i need by sight Or get a little help from the employees. So bear with me and my technical terms. LOL
I really didn't want to cut off the panels, especially since the corner trim would need to be cut off (or removed and replaced) as well. One side sits almost on the ground and the back/side is a few inches up, due to the slope of the property. But I figured, I'll have do all sides for uniformity purposes.

What's your thoughts on vinyl flashing rolls? I was thinking 10in would be more than enough height, I could caulk the top and at the seams/corners, without having to take the corner trim boards off.
I've never used vinyl flashing before, and wondered if it could be bent to go under the bottom of T1-11 and then up the wall so it would be seamless.

Thanks for any help and suggestions.

Attached Images    
Sponsored Links
Old 05-23-18, 09:57 AM
Group Moderator
Received 670 Votes on 620 Posts
If you are insistent on going that route and don't want to cut any siding out, I would suggest you use Azek (pvc 1x4 or 1x6), not a roll of anything thin. You will just cut it to length to fit between your corner trim and nail or screw it on. Then caulk the heck out of the top edge with a good quality caulking. (Not silicone)

Paint it siding color... you don't want to paint pvc dark colors, they have to be vinyl safe colors.

Old 05-23-18, 12:09 PM
M
So no Z channel flashing (whatever it's called) behind the Azek?
It really is only mushy, rotted in those two areas.
How about the very bottom? any type of channel or something on it to keep it from rotting out more of the bottom boards? I know it would be behind the Azek, but water and snow would still splash up against it.
Thanks for your reply.

Old 05-23-18, 12:27 PM
Group Moderator
Received 670 Votes on 620 Posts
If you can find a simple L- flashing you could cap the bottom (before you put the Azek up) if you wanted. If you aren't going to cut the siding you can't use flashing above the Azek... you have to caulk it and keep it caulked and painted.

Old 05-23-18, 12:33 PM
M
Thanks so much. I think this is what I'm going to do.