Paper behind stucco gone?

Old 06-18-18, 12:11 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Paper behind stucco gone?

I removed the inside drywall on an outside wall that is stuccoed. There was water damage and had to replace some 2x4's. The paper and wire between the stucco and the 2x4's just fell apart. I was planning on using a closed cell spray foam on that wall before i recover it. Do i need to replace the paper before a foam it? I live in Southern Calif, hot and dry. This will have an inspection done before closing it up so want to make it right.

skeeter

Last edited by skeeter_ca; 06-18-18 at 12:31 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-18-18, 03:33 PM
Group Moderator
Received 675 Votes on 624 Posts
Well thats not a good situation. I'm sure it was baked! Code dictates that 2 layers of felt overlap at least 6" from seams... so if it disintegrated I don't know what they will "make you" do. You can't be the first person this has happened to. But 2 layers of #15 felt that fit neatly between the studs would make it look better.

Old 06-18-18, 07:11 PM
T
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Depending on the age of the stucco you might have weep screed at the bottom. paper needs to go on top of the weep screed, looking from the outside in maybe you can slip some behind it from the inside between the stucco and the weep screed. Is the woven wire rusted out? If so you probably need to demo some stucco and re-lath. About how high from the sill plate is the paper missing?

I think some felt between the studs is better than nothing.

can you give us a picture?

Old 07-12-18, 11:36 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
So would i use roofing felt like shown below....

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Fields-4...-F45/202081051

skeeter

Old 07-12-18, 12:26 PM
T
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
We Know what a roll of felt looks like. The picture I had hoped to see was the condition you describe in the original post. Ask your inspector what he would like to see. Is the woven wire rusted out? If so all that is holding the stucco is itself.

The felt in the picture should work. Ask the inspector. And maybe use some roofing cement to adhere the new paper to the old, maybe even to the stucco just to hold it in place.

I have never seen this condition but I still think yours is not the first time this has happened. Talk to the inspector. Think of him as a friend not an adversary.

Old 07-12-18, 12:33 PM
T
Received 20 Votes on 18 Posts
I'd run it by the inspector to see what they want as they will be giving the okay. Adding paper between the studs would give some protections if the water penetrating the stucco lands on it. Any water making its way to the vertical edge (ex at the studs) can cause issues. In addition, drainage water needs to exit on the outside over a weep screed as tightcoat mentioned, or at the very least on the outside of the foundation. Very difficult to do from the inside. The only way to fix it 100% is remove the existing stucco and redo.

Was the water damage from the inside or outside? Using elastomeric paint on stucco can help with moisture protection, but again only new paper will give you full protection and you can't properly install it from the inside.