Repairing/Flashing T1-11 Siding

Old 06-23-18, 11:42 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Repairing/Flashing T1-11 Siding

Hi folks,

I have a detached garage sided with T1-11 that has gradually been rotting at the bottom because it was never flashed properly when the previous owner had it built. I plan on replacing all of the siding panels, however how to flash the bottom properly has me stumped.

The slab is about 4 or 6 inches wider all around than the walls of the structure so there is a pretty sizable lip where all the water just collects and rots everything. I had planned on doing z-bar flashing out and over the edge of that lip, but that means that the flashing is going to come out that whole length and I can't see how that's going to look good at all. I'd also have to get a metal fab place to make that up for me since there isn't going to be any flashing that is that big on the shelf.

Attached is a pic. Any suggestions?

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 06-23-18, 12:20 PM
B
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Don't you just love it when the slab is larger than the shed?! I see that every now and then and have never understood the reasoning behind it.

Anyway, how about something like this sketch? It would be better if it were covered with flashing, but painting would be the next best thing with a good slope. BTW, my personal rule of thumb is to give treated wood a year to dry before painting it.

Attached Images  
Old 06-23-18, 01:02 PM
J
Received 77 Votes on 72 Posts
Is there a gutter over that area?
A metal fab shop is not the place to go to have flashing made up.
Any siding company can do it or you could even rent a brake from HD and do it yourself.
I've had to do this one dozens of times.
The way I do it is cut the T1-11 at 6" above the slab and remove it.
Pry the siding out away from the wall, or it can be tapped out enough by hitting it from the back side against a 2 X 4 near the studs.
Prime and paint the bottom where the cut was made.
Install Z mold flashing made just for this job up under the siding.
At the bottom I use a wide enough piece of coil stock to make a hem where it's going to hang down over the slab (a hem is bending the coil stock back over it's self and clamping it tight so it will stay laying flat) at least a 1/2" bend to hang over the edge of the slab, enought to have it cover the slab and about 4" up the wall.
Then install 1 X 6 vinyl lumber using 2" galvinized finish nails or trim head screws.
Do it this way, and never have to touch it again.

Old 06-23-18, 06:57 PM
J
Ah okay. So rather than replacing the entire sheet of siding, I just cut out the bottom rotted 6 inches and fill that gap with the lumber to hide the flashing behind it.

My only question is what seals the gap between the bottom of the cut siding and the top of the lumber? Obviously there will be a little lip there.

I guess i could paint the giant flashing to make it not so much of an eyesore.

Old 06-23-18, 07:00 PM
Group Moderator
Received 675 Votes on 624 Posts
Install Z mold flashing made just for this job up under the siding.
Joe covered that. Z- flashing over the 1x6 trim.

Old 06-24-18, 05:45 AM
J
Doesn't the 1x6 go on top of the flashing to cover the 6 inches that I cut out or am I missing the boat here?

I'm referring to where the bottom of the t1-11 meets the top of the 1x6. Obviously there isn't going to be a big gap like my picture below, this is just to illustrate what I think the solution is.

Attached Images  
Old 06-24-18, 06:02 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 319 Votes on 283 Posts
You'd have 2 flashings, a Z flashing behind the siding and over the top edge of the 1x6 and another larger custom bent flashing that is behind the 1x6 and out over the edge of the slab.

Old 06-24-18, 06:13 AM
B
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
So if you're OK saving the T1-11 on the upper part of the garage, then cutting in a vertical 1x6 like others have said is the way to go. That's what I did on my shed where the bottom of the T1-11 was starting to rot. The only thing I did different was I mitered the bottom of the T1-11 and top of the 1x6 at roughly a 45 degree angle for a very positive slope away. If I had a ledge like you have, I would also shim the bottom flashing to get a positive slope so water doesn't stand on the flashing; 3/8" to 1/2" would be a great plenty.

Old 06-24-18, 07:10 AM
J
Alright, got it. Seems pretty straight forward. Any final recommendation on making all this flashing look decent? I guess I could paint it to match the siding.

Old 06-24-18, 07:19 AM
Group Moderator
you could even rent a brake from HD and do it yourself
Buy whatever color of aluminum trim coil you like. Or yes, you could paint it.

Old 06-24-18, 10:00 AM
R
Received 28 Votes on 24 Posts
Any final recommendation on making all this flashing look decent?
Yes you could paint it or leave it unpainted, it isn't going to look any worse than the concrete does now. You might end up liking the way it looks leaving it bare.

Old 06-25-18, 05:56 AM
J
Received 77 Votes on 72 Posts
You have white siding, why would you want to paint already white coil stock?
This is sort of a picture of how the Z molding works at the top of PVC lumber and under the T-1-11.
Yes it comes in white, do not use Galv. !
It comes in aluminum.
https://images.search.yahoo.com/yhs/...g&action=click

Old 06-25-18, 09:38 AM
J
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
You have white siding, why would you want to paint already white coil stock?
This is sort of a picture of how the Z molding works at the top of PVC lumber and under the T-1-11.
Yes it comes in white, do not use Galv. !
It comes in aluminum.
https://images.search.yahoo.com/yhs/...g&action=click
The lighting in the picture makes it look white, but it's actually beige. No worries, I will find a color that looks decent, I may actually end up re-painting the entire garage anyway and just match it to whatever coil stock color I get.

I think I know what needs to be done now, thanks!

Old 06-25-18, 10:26 AM
Group Moderator
Desert sand might be a close match.