Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Exterior Improvement Center > Exterior Paneling and All Exterior Sidings
Reload this Page >

Help, window leaking from weeping hole and under wood siding

Old 06-28-18, 09:33 PM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I have a window that is in our shower. The tile on the window sill in the shower had a leak through old caulk that was probably there for years from pervious owners. I noticed this because paint was pealing on the exterior. I fixed that issue. I then noticed that the vinyl trim was covering one of the weeping holes on the outside and was letting water in behind the wood trim on the exterior. I want to know what my options are to solve this issue at this point. I feel confident that the leak from the shower is no longer an issue, but I am not really sure what my options are to fix this issue. I haven't had much luck with companies coming out to give me reasonable estimates. Any suggestions would be great!

Name:  IMG_8040.jpg
Views: 646
Size:  17.1 KB

Name:  IMG_8041.jpg
Views: 318
Size:  19.7 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 06-28-18, 09:47 PM
Group Moderator
Received 676 Votes on 625 Posts
6Yikes. That's ugly... they really did you a solid by gooping up the outside like that.

Only idea I would have that doesn't involve taking the window out, is to find someone that sells vinyl windows and ask them if they have a spare vinyl head expander (in white). I usually just throw them away. (A lumber yard might have one they would give you). A head expander is shaped like a 3 1/4" wide ] ... and once you put a new piece of 1" thick wood under the window, you could cut the head expander to size and use it to cover the wood. It would tuck between the bottom of the window and the new wood if you leave an 1/8" gap. Once you know it's going to fit, caulk the gap with some OSI Quad and press the vinyl piece in.

Pretty crummy but unless you want to start over there's not much you can do there.

An alternative idea might be to remove all the existing trim around the window... both vinyl and wood... and retrim it with new wood that is only 3/4" thick so that it does not protrude past the front of the window.

Old 06-29-18, 09:09 PM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the reply. Under the window there was a wood filler piece and then the wood trim was nailed into that to be flush with the rest of the trim since the window doesn't sit flush to the siding. Would it make sense to replace the 1" wood under the window, place the wood filler piece back in, and use adhesive flashing before putting the trim back up? Thanks again.

Old 06-29-18, 09:15 PM
Group Moderator
Received 676 Votes on 625 Posts
You probably have it figured out. Do whatever you think is best... but no, don't block the weep holes. OSI Quad is a good sealant to use on vinyl... it adheres very well. Don't use any silicone anywhere you intend to paint.