Wood around furnace exhaust needs replacement

Old 07-23-18, 07:06 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wood around furnace exhaust needs replacement

Hi,

I'm not sure what this is called or how to replace this; what do you recommend?

Attached Images   
Sponsored Links
Old 07-23-18, 07:22 PM
Group Moderator
Received 676 Votes on 625 Posts
I would call it a real cluster.

First thing to do is get yourself a vinyl unlock tool if you don't have one. (Malco Sideswiper). Most home depots will have these near the vinyl siding supplies. Also get yourself a new piece of white (or gray) 3/4" j-channel. And if you can find a piece of 1/2" or 3/4" pvc that is maybe 2' x 4' buy that.

What you will want to do is carefully remove about 3 pieces of vinyl siding... the piece above, around, and below the wall vent. Unzip it then pull the nails. Remove the old j-channel and throw it away. Remove the rotten wood and clean off caulk.

then cut yourself a new square out of the pvc... if it's 1/2" thick you will probably want to make 2 pieces to sandwich together so they are 1" thick together. Jigsaw the hole as carefully as you can so that it fits perfectly... 1/8" gap is ok. Then screw that to the wall. (Assuming the sheathing isn't rotten too). I would probably make the square at least 2" bigger than it is now.

then put new j channel around it and fit your siding back in... cut siding as needed (tin snips) if you made it larger, which you should. Then neatly caulk the edges. You are bound to be able to do a better job than the last guy.

​​