Framing for Steel Siding

Old 08-29-18, 06:33 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Framing for Steel Siding

I haven't been able to find any definitive specifications for framing for steel siding. All the buildings I have looked at locally are framed with 2x4 or 2x6 and have purlins running horizontally. many of these are 1x2 purlins . All of these sheds have been standing for as long as 8 years. What is the definitive method for framing when using steel panels for both roofing & siding. My building is 26' x30' framed with 2x6 16"oc and manufactured wood trusses on 2' centers. Thanks

Old 08-29-18, 06:43 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Horizontal 2x4s that are 32" on center are what's common around here. Tons of pole barns.

Old 08-29-18, 10:11 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
I wouldn't use anything smaller than a 1x4. Pole barns/buildings are pretty popular around here also.

Old 08-29-18, 10:27 AM
T
"My building is 26' x30' framed with 2x6 16"oc and manufactured wood trusses on 2' centers."

Walls sound more than adequate as is. The 2" spread on the trusses is a bit much though. Add in some parallel 2x4s between. Nailers in the wall and roof as needed for the seams.

Old 08-29-18, 06:49 PM
Group Moderator
Received 877 Upvotes on 740 Posts
I would go by the siding manufacturers recommendations on framing.

Here perlins are spaced 24" O.C.

Old 09-03-18, 04:48 AM
B
Thanks for the several replies and sorry for the late response. it seems my settings are not sending me any replies.

It appears there are differences in how sheds are built in different areas. In my neighborhood i don't see too many pole barns although I expect a lot of the hay sheds are pole barn construction. Most of what I've seen from my neighbors machine sheds and shops are stick-built on concrete slabs. Some have trusses on 4' centers but 2' centers seems to be the norm. 2x4 purlins on the roof are common but 1x4 seems to be the norm on the sides.

I have looked on the steel suppliers WEB sites but haven't seen anything on suitable sub-structure for their product. I have tried looking through the Canadian Building code but so far all I have found is that steel roofing has to be a minimum of 33mm and like someone already mentioned, refer to the steel manufacturer for specs. I'll keep looking through the code and will talk to the steel vendor for information. Again, thanks for the replies

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: