How to protect exposed house wrap (WRB).

Old 09-26-18, 12:28 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How to protect exposed house wrap (WRB).

Hello,

I've had the house wrap on 1 1/2 sides of my house for about a month now. It's looking like I won't be able to get the siding up until next spring. How do I protect the house wrap (HardieWrap) from degrading?

I'm considering covering everything with tarps. I'd need to put some holes in the house wrap, which I would need to tape over when I'm ready to put up the plank siding.

Do you have any better ideas/suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-26-18, 12:30 PM
Group Moderator
Received 46 Votes on 43 Posts
Leave it and replace any of it which got damaged over the winter.

Old 09-26-18, 01:23 PM
Thanks @stickshift.
As I understand it, the WRB degrades from UV exposure. So, even though it might look OK, its effectiveness would be diminished over time.

Old 09-26-18, 04:34 PM
Received 87 Votes on 78 Posts
Dont sweat it, if it looks bad just put down another layer, it;s not that critical!

Old 09-27-18, 03:00 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Hardi's install instructions say it must be covered within 180 days of installation. If you're going to be beyond that, I would strongly suggest you call Hardi's tech support and see what, if any, ramifications there are of going beyond that 180 days. The weather barrier is a pretty important part of an exterior wall system.

Old 09-27-18, 07:10 AM
Thanks @Marq1. I can't help it. I sweat the small stuff :-)

Thanks @Bruce H. That's a good suggestion. I imagine that the Hardie people will remind me that, if I leave the HardiWrap exposed for over 180 days, it would void any warranty. I am curious if that would carry over to the Hardie Plank that will eventually be installed over it.

Old 09-27-18, 07:50 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
SturdyNail, I would be concerned about warranties on the HardiPlank as well. I would also ask them about going over the housewrap you have with another layer. My first thought was what will that do to the overall perm rating? Don't want that perm rating too low or the wall won't breath like it's supposed to. Before I retired, if we had any question about a manufacturer's product, we always called tech support.

BTW, I put HardiPlank on my house about 15 years ago and it's performing very well. Hardi's tech support was very responsive when I called with a few questions/clarifications before I started.