Problem re-installing shutters

Old 09-27-18, 06:05 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Problem re-installing shutters

Hi folks,

I was helping a friend re-install two shutters that got ripped off the house from high winds. Each shutter had used 6 of those shutter "loks", or I've heard them called push-pins too. Here's a link to them on Home Depot's site.

I bought a few new packs of fat screws with anchors (here's the link).

Unfortunately, the house has a stucco finish. There only seems to be a small layer of stucco, then there seems to be a layer of what seems to resemble styrofoam, and then behind that seems to be wood. The hole in the stucco must have gotten stretched out when the existing shutters ripped out of the wall. So the new screws and anchors that I bought don't fit snug at all. They just fall right out.

One solution I was thinking about was to fill the hole with Great Stuff foam, let it cure, and then try again with the anchors and screws? Or do they make really massive molly bolts? Or should I get longer screws that will reach the wood layer, but will "float" in the styrofoam and stucco layers? Ugh, nothing is ever simple.

Attached are three (hopefully helpful) pictures of the wall.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Attached Images    
Sponsored Links
Old 09-27-18, 06:56 PM
Group Moderator
Received 338 Votes on 316 Posts
There is nothing there for any anchor to attach to. A longer screw into the wood sheathing would be ideal. A little latex caulk in the hole to seal it.

Stucco is miserable to work with for mounting things like that.

Old 09-27-18, 07:12 PM
Group Moderator
Received 190 Votes on 179 Posts
You have EIFS, not stucco. It just looks like stucco. The plastic anchors you have were placed into a hole that was drilled through both the foam and the sheathing. (A screw will not work if placed in the same hole.) If the hole in the sheathing hasn't been enlarged, you probably just need to squirt a little pl300 foam adhesive into the holes, then use the shutter loks. You may need to prop the shutter up with a 1x2 that is cut to the right length to help take the weight off the shutter until the adhesive sets up. (24 hrs) Since the hole in the EIFS is enlarged, it won't keep the shutter lok perpendicular to the wall without the shutter being propped up temporarily.

​​​​​​
​​​​

Old 09-28-18, 04:52 AM
Received 91 Votes on 82 Posts
I would think filling the holes with the PL adhesive, letting it cure, then re drilling and
then installing would be easier!

Old 09-28-18, 05:29 AM
Group Moderator
Pretty sure a drill bit would twist the dried glue plug right out of the foam. EPS foam is so soft.

Old 09-28-18, 06:42 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by XSleeper View Post
Pretty sure a drill bit would twist the dried glue plug right out of the foam. EPS foam is so soft.
Thanks for the replies everyone.

When you say the EPS foam, is that the foam in the wall? Or are you talking about the PL300?

I guess I'm curious what the difference between the PL300 and just a can of Great Stuff?

I've used Great Stuff to fill cracks before, etc, and it seems to harden pretty good. Do you think if I filled the hole with Great Stuff, jammed an anchor in there before it hardened, and then give it a day to harden, then maybe the screw would then go into the anchor ok? Or maybe the screw would just twist in the Great Stuff?

Old 09-28-18, 06:49 AM
Group Moderator
The eps foam on the wall is foam. The pl300 is the glue.

use great stuff if you want a great mess. Won't matter as long as you always have shutters covering the holes. Great stuff is not as solid as pl300.

Old 09-28-18, 03:02 PM
Received 91 Votes on 82 Posts
Maybe, might have to experiment with different caulks/adhesives to find the right but the PL glues I have used are pretty solid, I bet a new drill bit would make a clean hole!