Re-stucco house lots of questions!

Old 10-11-18, 02:08 PM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Re-stucco house lots of questions!

Am getting a 1920’s home renovated. Location is Southern California. This is not a DIY post requesting help but one asking for advice on how to proceed and have contractors do the right work for the house’s specific case. Some questions:

Outside Stucco:
The outside stucco has multiple layers of paint on it which is beginning to delaminate. I have decided to get it restuccoed. I get conflicting advice from contractors that I should opt to 1) sandblast away the old paint, then some patching of cracks will be done, then brown coat and color coat versus or 2) scrape off old paint, power wash, have fiberglass mesh installed over entire house, then brown and color coat. For #2, I am also told a weep screed needs to be retrofitted as the house currently has none. 3) Another contractor said sandblast (or scrape and power wash), add wellcrete (or some other bonding agent) then brown and color coat. What would you do? Also, I understand the weep screed concept but is it absolutely necessary as I have never seen this on an old house before. Also, I know stucco is permeable cladding and it seems the layers of paint have protected the house from moisture so is doing a restucco a mistake? Should I opt to just scrape and powerwash then just paint again?

Thanks in advance!

Old 10-15-18, 06:46 PM
T
Received 48 Upvotes on 41 Posts
these are all valid points. a consideration for sand blasting is the dirt and risk of lead contamination/exposure. I have resisted installing retrofit weep screeds when requested. It is expensive and I think hard to get a moisture resistant installation. As far as applying mesh there are materials that would embed the mesh then let you finish over that.

and bonding agents are only as good as what they are applied to so if you scrape and power wash there is a risk, albeit probably a slight risk of the paint letting loose and taking the bonding agent and stucco with it.

I probably am causing you to ask more questions than giving answers.

Old 10-24-18, 04:08 PM
P
So what did you do in your own case?

Old 10-24-18, 05:16 PM
T
Received 48 Upvotes on 41 Posts
jhad a long detailed reply hit mystery key with clumsy fingers on tablet keypad. lost it all, too bad will be at a different computer in a day or two will tell you more then.

Old 10-25-18, 09:09 AM
P
OK, appreciate your sharing, Much appreciated and look forward to reading your experience!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: