Rotting siding above windows

Old 10-24-18, 02:46 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Rotting siding above windows

I have a lot of rotting siding above the windows on the lower story of my house. There is a deck above the windows. I suppose that because the deck shades the siding below, the siding stays damp and rots. I guess that it mainly happens above windows because the trim keeps the rain from draining off the siding there. Does this all make sense to you? If I rebuild it with new siding, is there a way that will prevent this from happening again?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-24-18, 02:59 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 131 Votes on 117 Posts
Could you post a pic or two so we can have a better idea of what you have?
https://www.doityourself.com/forum/e...-pictures.html

Old 10-24-18, 04:03 PM
Group Moderator
Received 216 Votes on 201 Posts
Sounds like the ledger is not flashed correctly.

Old 10-25-18, 11:52 AM
Pictures

Here are pictures--

--The south side of the house showing windows on two stories, with a deck between (Sorry about all the clutter; it's home);

--The trim over one of the lower story windows. (My wife caulked it recently as a stop-gap measure.) The bottom of the deck is seen above.

Attached Images   
Old 10-25-18, 01:26 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
There is supposed to be a Z flashing over the top of the window and under the siding above it. The Z flashing helps direct the water away from the wood. I'm not sure what's the best way to fix it at this point .... but the others probably will

Old 10-25-18, 01:43 PM
Thanks Marksr. Z flashing above windows must not have been the norm here when we built this. We had a good builder and none of the windows has it. However, none of the other windows has this problem; just the ones under the deck.

I'm now wondering if the fact that the deck is just bolted onto the face of the house, without any flashing, might cause water to seep back into the wall, where it then runs down til it hits the top of the windows, causing it to seep back out and cause the rotting of the siding above the windows...and who knows what other damage inside the wall...

Old 10-25-18, 01:48 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I can't remember if Z flashing was used in the 60's but I don't recall ever painting a new house that didn't have it over the windows unless the top of the window was close to a wide overhang. The deck could be funneling rain water and it also slows down drying time [absence of sunlight]

Old 10-26-18, 06:53 AM
Yeah, I guess I'd better get this redone. Thnx for your input.

Old 10-26-18, 07:08 AM
Group Moderator
Received 216 Votes on 201 Posts
I'm now wondering if the fact that the deck is just bolted onto the face of the house, without any flashing, might cause water to seep back into the wall, where it then runs down til it hits the top of the windows, causing it to seep back out and cause the rotting of the siding above the windows...and who knows what other damage inside the wall...
exactly... could be very bad... might even compromise the deck itself if it's rotten behind the ledger. You might start by removing the deck board next to the house and see what you find... poke around with a awl.