Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Exterior Improvement Center > Exterior Paneling and All Exterior Sidings
Reload this Page >

Fluid applied weather barrier on top of house wrap tape?

Old 11-05-18, 12:45 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I'm in the process of having new siding put on my house. The house wrap is on and seams are taped.

To say I'm a perfectionist is an understatement, and my biggest concern/priority of this project is making sure the house is water tight and that there are ZERO water issues in the future. The house wrap is taped up on to the window jambs, but being the paranoid person I am, I'm worried that the tape may encounter small tears or be pulled away (however small) when the j trim is being installed. I'm wondering if I can apply a fluid applied weather barrier ON TOP of the tape, or cut away the tape and use FAWB instead/in place of the tape? The two products I am looking at are the Polywall Blue Barrier or Zips Liquid Flashing. Both of these products only give demos on how to use when installing new windows. There is no info on if it can be used around exsisting windows (either on top of house wrap tape or in lieu of house wrap tape).
Can anyone give me information on this? If used instead of tape, will the FAWB stick to the house wrap and wood jamb? If used on top of the tape, will it stick to the tape?

I know most replies will just say skip it and trust the tape, but I'd really like another form of protection.

All advice is appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Old 11-05-18, 01:03 PM
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
I have always wondered why house wrap is sealed with tape and then thousands of holes are punched through the wrap when the siding is installed.

Old 11-05-18, 01:12 PM
Group Moderator
Received 184 Votes on 173 Posts
Both those products are designed to be used directly on the sheathing, so no.

The Zip system flashing is designed to be used directly on the Zip System sheathing and their instructions add: Bonds to most common building materials including structural sheathing, concrete, masonry, architectural metals, painted metals, glass, PVC, FRP, and EPDM

It would probably bond to the housewrap and tape but anytime you use a product for something it was not designed and tested on, you likely would void both mfg's warranties... both the liquid flashing and the housewrap/tape. The same goes for the Blue Barrier product.

If those products are not bonded to the sheathing, there isn't much point in using them.